First Power Amp Foray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built several different simple headphone amplifiers, and would now like to build a power amp for my speakers.

So, as a total newb, I've no idea what I'm getting into. I barely understand the concept of a transformer (which I'll need to reduce 120V from the wall, right?)

How do the principles of the design work? The headphone amps I was building were built around op-amps, and didn't even use fuses, transformers, or transistors.

I saw a previous thread about a "simple discrete 100W amp" with a bunch of suggestions. I'll probably pick the one that looks the easiest and try to build that. Any warnings?

Your best bet is probably to build a kit that has been design by someone else. This, with good instructions and comments would help you to understand generally how a discrete circuit works. An IC is just many 'discrete' components already assembled. If you want to design your own circuit, you need to know how certain devices function and the parameters involved and how they affect circuit operation. Just do a search on power amp kits ready to assemble. There have been many of different complexity discussed in detail in this forum.;)

If you want something simple, revolutionary, using quality matched components and professional double sided, ground planed, through hole plated 'work of art' PCB's then line up for my next run of SKA shown here at my website -

http://members.dodo.com.au/~gregball/guru_004.htm

The module simply clips onto a flanged heatsink using 'foldback' or 'bulldog' clips. No drilling necessary.

Easy peasy.

Cheers,
Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.