Speaker dent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Method 3
Take a dowel of wood and some hot glue. Hot glue the dowel to the middle of the dustcap dent and let it dry. Then pull the dowel out and pop the dent out. When you're done simply peel off the hot glue and dowel. This should work rather well as the dustcap is probably some type of plastic and hot glue will not penetrate it and peel off after a bit of prying. If the dust cap is some sort of cardboard or paper... It will rip some material off.

I'd say this method is probably the easiest and most effective. Tape will work only if the dent wants to pop back out or the material is flimsy(I'd guess its not judging by the type of sub) or you have some REALLY strong tape. The shop vac probably wont work too well because in my recollection RF makes their dustcaps with a 3-d logo and the shop vac will likely not provide adequate suction even with a very high power vaccum.

P.S. that is the dustcap of the speaker....

datboip said:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had the 15" version of this sub, and from looking at that pic, the surround looks as though the cone is pushed all the way down towards the backplate of the magnet.

Does the cone move back and forth freely? My friend had a JL Audio 10W6 that froze in place in the down position. I'm guessing the VC welded itself to the pole piece. You better check and see if that Rockford isn't the same way or your "friend" just sold you a dead woofer. :eek:

chops said:
. . . from looking at that pic, the surround looks as though the cone is pushed all the way down towards the backplate of the magnet. . .
I'm guessing the VC welded itself to the pole piece. . .
I was just thinking the same thing! My bet is that even if you do get the dent out, it will take a little "convincing" to get the cone to move again. Has anyone successfully gotten a cone like that unstuck? If so, was the damage to the VC severe enough to knock out the whole driver or was there some way to make it work again?

here is my tried and proven method.

using a hair dryer warm the dome till it is soft and pliable.

take a 6inch or so long piece of duct tape and place the center on the dome.

burnish the tape down over as large of an area as possible.
pull on the tape (holding both ends) slowly till the dome returns back to shape.

you may need to heat the dome further to remove all the creases.

Caution if the dome is poly be carefull with heat -you may melt it!
:bawling:
of course you can allways remove it and buy a new one from
WWW.partsexpress.com

I have used this method sucessfully on thousands of drivers
over the years.

Good Luck Dave

amp-guy said:
here is my tried and proven method.

using a hair dryer warm the dome till it is soft and pliable.

take a 6inch or so long piece of duct tape and place the center on the dome.

burnish the tape down over as large of an area as possible.
pull on the tape (holding both ends) slowly till the dome returns back to shape.

you may need to heat the dome further to remove all the creases.

Caution if the dome is poly be carefull with heat -you may melt it!
:bawling:
of course you can allways remove it and buy a new one from
WWW.partsexpress.com

I have used this method sucessfully on thousands of drivers
over the years.

Good Luck Dave

That's all fine and dandy, however it's also a moot point if the driver itself is hosed.

Re: Re: Speaker dent

chops said:

I had the 15" version of this sub, and from looking at that pic, the surround looks as though the cone is pushed all the way down towards the backplate of the magnet.

Does the cone move back and forth freely? My friend had a JL Audio 10W6 that froze in place in the down position. I'm guessing the VC welded itself to the pole piece. You better check and see if that Rockford isn't the same way or your "friend" just sold you a dead woofer. :eek:

Also it may be something as simple as the sub being stored for a period of time with something heavy sitting on the dustcap (probably another sub :rolleyes: ), The result is a (more or less) permenently collapsed spider, unfortunatly I've seen far too many drivers rended useless like this from incorrect storage/ignorance.

Re: Re: Re: Speaker dent

Volenti said:
Also it may be something as simple as the sub being stored for a period of time with something heavy sitting on the dustcap (probably another sub :rolleyes: ). . .
LOL! I think you have it!!!

That possibility didn't even cross my mind, but that would account for the SEVERE dent in the dust cap. That is far beyond what I would suspect would happen from everyday negligence.

Re: Re: Re: Speaker dent

Volenti said:

Also it may be something as simple as the sub being stored for a period of time with something heavy sitting on the dustcap (probably another sub :rolleyes: ), The result is a (more or less) permenently collapsed spider, unfortunatly I've seen far too many drivers rended useless like this from incorrect storage/ignorance.

Who does that? I bet some one that does not refrigerate milk and can not figure out why it is never fresh does that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.