Has anybody experience with the ICEpower ASP modules?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Has anybody experience with the ICEpower ASP modules?

Jeff Rowland uses them in 10k$ amps, so they can't be that bad.

I have checked the data sheets of these amps. They do some things less nice than the UcD amps. Such as a freq. response that is more dependent on the load and distortion that increases with frequency. I also don't like the fact that they have half the power supply voltage at the speaker outputs.

I have never heard them, anybody any comments?

Best regards

Gertjan

yes, I have heard them and own some, but I have not used them or tested them in a DIY way, yet.

I recently bought a PS Audio GCC500 amp, to replace a Krell KRC HR / FPB600, powering Martin Logan Ascent i speakers. This amp uses two 1000ASP modules. It's a very impressive sounding amp, not necessarily worse or better than the Krells it replaced. Seems to have limitlesss power & authority, and a load of detail too.

Now, I would love to get hold of a further two 1000ASP modules, to bi-amp the bass units of my Ascent i speakers. I've only found one place that will sell them to me, but they are really expensive, 530 Euros each I think. It's almost better for me to buy two eAR 1001 monoblocks, with their nice cases, to acccomplish this.

Does anyone know where or how to buy the ASP modules? I know you can get the A versions easily enough but I want matching ASPs!

Thanks,
unclemonty

unclemonty said:
yes, I have heard them and own some, but I have not used them or tested them in a DIY way, yet.

I recently bought a PS Audio GCC500 amp, to replace a Krell KRC HR / FPB600, powering Martin Logan Ascent i speakers. This amp uses two 1000ASP modules. It's a very impressive sounding amp, not necessarily worse or better than the Krells it replaced. Seems to have limitlesss power & authority, and a load of detail too.

Now, I would love to get hold of a further two 1000ASP modules, to bi-amp the bass units of my Ascent i speakers. I've only found one place that will sell them to me, but they are really expensive, 530 Euros each I think. It's almost better for me to buy two eAR 1001 monoblocks, with their nice cases, to acccomplish this.

Does anyone know where or how to buy the ASP modules? I know you can get the A versions easily enough but I want matching ASPs!

Thanks,
unclemonty

Hi Unclemonty,

Thanks for the info, yes the EAR cases look nice. Maybe we get some more replies of people that have heard both UcD and these ICE modules. Access to UcD is easy and they are not expensive, they are very nice for DIY. Just would like to know how these ICE amps compare with them.

Best regards

Gertjan

ICEpower

Just happened across this thread.

I work for Bang & Olufsen. I'm into DIY audio as a hobby despite working for B&O. We invented the ICEpower technology and license it out to other companies. ICE stands for Intelligent, compact, efficient FYI.

If you ever want to hear these amps, stop by a store sometime, bring a favorite CD of yours and ask to listen to the $17,000/pr BeoLab5's. These have digital input, analog devices DAC's, room correction for the bass freq. with built in mic and active XO's. They have 4 ICE amps in them, 250W on the 1" tweet, 250W on the 3" dome midrange, 1000W on a 6.5" midbass, and another 1000W on a down-firing 15" sub. Even the power supply uses the ICE technology in some way i'm told!

They're quite interesting, and they SLAM with an immediecy i've not heard from any other speaker, you should give them a listen

The sweetest thing about ICEpower modules is the ASP series, if you can get your hands on these puppies it's plug&play, power supply in incorporated in the modules.

It would be so nice to have a small efficient switching power supply to feed UcD modules - sure the modules are small, but the toroids needed are *huge* !

unclemonty said:
You can buy them here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23790&item=3781983171&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

but it's way too expensive for something that costs <$100 OEM.

Perhaps Karsten at http://www.cadaudio.dk/ might be able to obtain them as he seems to be able to source the A versions of the modules?

Karsten?

unclemonty

Hi Unclemonty,

I had a closer look at the cadaudio link. I'm not really considering buying ICEpower modules at this stage, just interested in whether somebody knows how they perform (the new ASP series), especially in comparison with UcD.

I find the switched power supplies on the CADaudio site however very interesting. It seems that they only sell them in combination with an amp. I was thinking of using a switched power supply for my UcD modules. The switched mode supply would be regulated and the power factor could possibly be better than with a linear supply. A linear supply with large caps will draw very large current peaks during a very short time (at the peak of the sine wave, 100 times per second). This maybe better (less) with a switched supply. And since the amp is already switched, why not using a switched supply?

Maybe a good idea for Hypex to develop switched supplies as well?

Does anybody know of other vendors for switched power supplies for audio applications?

Best regards

Gertjan

Well, believe me, they are more than decent, just didn't know if anybody knew where these amps came from and he had asked where he could here some. It wasn't a commercial, if I thought they were the end-all be-all I wouldn't be doing the DIY thing as a hobby.

Oh, and I have no idea what amount you would need to purchase, but its more on the order of like, buying the rights to manufacture yourself, B&O wouldn't sell any modules themselves.

I don't think you can get the rights to produce the ICEpowers by yourself. As far as I know ICEpower has a plant in Malaysia for producing the ICEpowers........

Regards,

Jan-Peter

I'd love to find a nice switch-power supply also. The UcD's are very small and compact, and our company would like to test them as amplifier for a high-end(ish) home theater PC. Only thing that wouldn't fit in a PC case is the toroid/caps. Switchmode would be the solution, if we only could find a decent DIY kit or completed supply we'd be fine!

I didn't have the chance to test the modules yet, as I haven't received them. Apparently Hypex has big problems with GLS, they were due to bring us the modules on monday.

GLS was just here with a package from another company, still no Hypex delivery...

Yves

Jan-Peter,

This wasn't meant as an "attack" towards you or Hypex. I'm just tired of transport companies.

We deliver PC's to end-users and know how these things go...

So no hard feelings towards you or Hypex, but I can't vent my anger towards GLS.

Poor Niels, I've sent him quite some mails lately... :D

I hope we all can figure out what went wrong

I'll shut up now, this is not the discussion on this forum :angel:

"Custom Design

ICEpower offers to design according to your specifications and requirement for high volume projects. Our team of designers has extensive experience with design from specifications all the way to 100% approved solution ready for manufacturing.

Our design experience ranges from for pro audio & consumer electronics to automotive applications. ICEpower offers to manufacture custom designs as a turnkey solution or alternatively on a production license."

"Optional production license
Optional production license is offered for high volume projects to reap the cost benefits of optimized logistics. For production license projects ICEpower delivers a prototype ready for EMC & safety approval."

I read on another site which isn't affiliated to B&O that a min. of 1000 would be required for them to produce them for you.

The problem with Icepower aside from it being unobtanium, and too expensive, is its load dependance.

As I understand it, a SMPS would still require beefy caps for energy reserve, but would save on the transformer size.

It's only less expensive from a mass production view point. If you're not into making supplies, you have little to save by producing a SMPS, while the extra design time/costs would only be passed on to the user. They are far less reliable than your average power supply, and would be troublesome to use properly, much more so than a standard PSU.

Personally, I'd prefer Hypex's time was spent further improving their UCD modules, and releasing new ones, than amping up the cost of them by implementing a sub optimal supply.

I never want to see the thread titled "How to mod your UCD module for true power and quality by removing the SMPS"

Regards

Too expensive, well...

Acoustic Reality

Then click "Order Info":

eAR® 202, 2x200 Watt RMS - US$499 (ex. VAT), EURO 399 (with VAT), 2999 DKR (with VAT)

This is actually 2x100W into 8 omhs, based on ICEpower ASP modules, fully assembled.

So if someone wants a hold of the modules, this might be a way to get them... it will be ASP's of course.

Then I saw the Hypex modules... so I never ordered those eAR's!

Samsung has also announced a 7 channel receiver with all whistles & bells present, with 7*200W/8 ohms based on ICEpower, THX Ultra2 certified (THX might have lost its good name, but the Ultra2 specs are quite difficult to live up to)

Yves

Hi,

I am a bit curious about real power capability of those modules without additional heatsinking. In SMPS business I am accustomed that 1000W power supply gives 1000W continously up to the maximum rated ambient temperature. Now 1000W power supply that gives out 40W at maximum ambient temperature is in my book a 40W power supply and not a 1000W one. See attached part of 1000ASP module data sheet.

I know that FTC has now lowered preconditioning from 1/3 rated power to 1/8 rated power and I think that rated power is tested for 5minutes, but i would like to have your opinion what is a realistic continious power requirement for audio SMPS.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

Attachments

• icepower.gif
    icepower.gif
    31 KB · Views: 1,655
Somebody should set up a nice "open standard" for all these things.

A public domain THX certification of sorts, maybe a kind of "benchmark" for amps and other audio equipment, purely based on things that can be measured.

All this power nonsense is driving me nuts. Does anyone even know what 1W is these says? Or 50? Or 100?

Good thing the PMPO craze is over. If they would be measuring car perfomance like they measure audio performance, we would have amazing specs :bigeyes:

"Yes sir-eee, 14.000 revs peak engine power output, just before she blew up"

But even "RMS" power can't be trusted these days...

:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.