Drop-in replacement for Infinity Emit/Emim drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'm looking for suitable drop-in replacements for Infinity Emit (tweeter) and Emim (midrange) drivers. They are not manufactered anymore and are only available as second hand items, but becoming scarce.

Secondly I'm looking for any info on re-stretching the Infinity Emim diaphragms from the RS-1B speaker system.
After many years of usage, the tension of the diaphragm lessens and produces a slight buzzing sound. Re-stretching, done properly, brings them back into shape.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Franklin

The following was Cut n Pasted from <a href="http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/prod03.htm">Layne Audio: Speaker Parts and Repair</a>
Infinity:
<i><font color=#800000>In this latest reorganization they have stopped supporting many older models all together, and now factory replacement parts for unique items like the Polydome and EMIM midranges are now gone. We have several higher quality replacement options for the dome mids and most other woofers/mids/tweeters...but no drop-in replacements for the planar magnetic drivers. The diaphragms of the EMIM mids and EMIT tweeters can sometimes be repaired with conductive epoxy if you can locate the break in the conductor [most common problem]. If the mylar membrane has stretched and the driver is "buzzing", you can try heating it to re-tension the membrane [may work, may cause more problems than it solves]. We are now carrying two German designed planar magnetic drivers that are ideal upgrade/ replacement drivers for the EMIT and EMIM drivers. Sound quality, durability, and output level are much better than the original Infinity drivers [which were designed in the late 50's]. These will require some cabinet and crossover modification to work in the Infinity cabinets, but is well worth the trouble. The tweeter modules are $49 each, mids $69 each [cheaper than new diaphragms!].</font></i>
</body>

Might be worth emailing them?

Regards
James

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello guys,

Thanks for both your advise and additional info.
I would like to respond on both your replies to my question:

The BG drivers may be equal or better than the Infinity Emit and Emim, but they're not really drop-in replacements. Using them would require a whole new baffle and passive or active x-over design. If I would consider using them, which I already have, it would be for a completely new design, which really isn't what I'm looking for right now.

Layne Audio seemed to have the drop-in replacement drivers for the Infinity, but I have e-mailed them several times and got no response at all!. I wonder if they're still in business. Heating up the membrane could solve my problem, but then again as Layne Audio mentions, it
could cause even greater problems.

Thanks,

Franklin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.