Running A Power Amp And A Receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My situation is that I have a Pioneer receiver which I mainly use for listening to music/using my computer and watching the odd movie and I'm looking at getting some better mains. Thing is I cant afford to replace the receiver (and I dont really want to) but I would like to try building a stereo amp just for the mains and use something similar to high level inputs on a sub to give the signal to the stereo amp from the receiver. Is this at all possible ?

Driving an amp for the main speakers from the speaker output of your receiver will work if you pad it down with a resistor network to get the max voltage down to a few volts. If you do it this way, many of the flaws of the receivers amp, if there are any, are sent to the new amp.

I don't consider this a good solution to your problem. BTW, what is the original problem? You don't specify clearly why you want to do this.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
BTW, what is the original problem? You don't specify clearly why you want to do this.

Sorry, should have done some more explaining :) At the moment my receiver (which I havnt had for 4 months because its getting repaired) is one of the Pioneer slimline VSX-C301 - 75W MAX @ 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD - there the only specs the manual gives me. I cant afford to get a new receiver but I would like to get some new mains (at the moment I only have the 5.1 cube system that came with it) and I want to try making a stereo amp/buy a cheap one just to run the mains with hopefully better sound quality and volume.

A line level convertor allows normal speaker outputs to be converted to RCAs, usually with high quality parts to allow conversion of all frequencies and also isolation from speaker connections to the rca's...
They are available (cheap ones) from Dick Smith or jaycar (i think) but expensive ones, no idea... :) I know there's a david navone convertor that is renouned for it's quality!
To be honest, if it is a cheap receiver the output sound quality will be pretty poor (like most "cheap" low end "all in one" receivers...) You need a good base to start with, pre-amp outs are best, a very good receiver with a line level convertor (or line out convertor) is next best
Aaron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.