CEC BD-2000 Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's raise this one from the crypt

I just picked one up at a thrift shop. It spins like a charm. Little information is available on the web. I guess this was a little bit more sophisticated model when it was at sale. CEC today is making those belt drive cd transports.

The arm is apparently loosely based on the SME designs. I like the headshell. I imagine it fights resonances reasonably well and installation of a system is really straightforward with it. The turntable has no stop mechanism. The platter is aluminium that really rings and thus needs a rubber mat. Speed switching is via a lever that guides the belt down the pulley. Noticable is the anti-skating solution that applies more force towards the middle of the disc.

I like it better than my former Dual CS503-2. My system likes the medium mass arm better than the light weight ones.

Regards
theduke

Attachments

• cec_bd2000.jpg
    cec_bd2000.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 752
Nice turntable. Just out of curiosity - how much did you pay for it? I ask because I've been offered a CEC BD 3000(?) and would like to take it, but I'm not sure how much it's worth. More than €100? More than €150? Or beyond?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
tube.rico

tube.rico said:
Nice turntable. Just out of curiosity - how much did you pay for it? I ask because I've been offered a CEC BD 3000(?) and would like to take it, but I'm not sure how much it's worth. More than €100? More than €150? Or beyond?

Hehe, you have to guess................................ ok, 30€. And I still played the offended guy:angel:

Well it was not in perfect condition, and came with broken stylus, the belt needs changing... But I doubt you will get a price like that. I expected not much and would say try it.

This is no cost no object player. It's a subchassis table, which i find are little beasts full of masses and springs sticking out everywhere... The arm is not that excellent. I have the impressioin, one or two instruments really sound fine, but when the scene gets crowded, everything collapses together. Also it has an ugly 5-pin output connector, for which you will want an adapter to try that thing out. At least it turns at constant speed which not every player is able to manage.

If you can try it out first do it, pay depends on condition etc, I feel 150 is upper limit.

Resurrecting this ancient thread.

Just picked up a CEC BD-2000 (branded as "Electra" here in Canada), and cleaned it up. Replaced the belt, cartridge and mat with better, newer stuff I had lying around (589mm bet from a JVC deck, an Excel ES70EX4 cartridge, and an Angrstom Ultimat).

This table too me a day to get it tuned in. The lateral weight especially. Finally found instruction at Lenco Heaven, and I will copy the relevant passage here:

"1: find the offset angle of your tonearm [21.6∘, for the similar Lustre, according to ]Requested Page Not Found - Vinyl Engine.
2: set bias to zero.
3: install stylus guard
4: zero float the arm
5: set the turntable up to where the side opposite of the arm is rased the angle of tonearm offset.
6: if the arm tries to climb to the spindle move the weight forward on the shaft. if the arm tries to fall away from the spindle move the weight back.
7: if you use multiple headshells and carts with different total mass, set for each one. record the distance setting for each, and when installing the different headshell/cart combo. set the lateral balance. "

Once this lateral weight was honed in, and tracking force increased to 2g (must be better at the higher end because the Excel cartridge only weighs 5g, and somewhere I read that the best weight is in the 6-12g range).

Now she is singing! Really, it sounds almost as good as my Thorens TD160 mkI! Very sweet bedroom turntable - my ears are happy.

And - it came with an Empire 2000E cartridge, which is supposed to be a decent one. Replacement stylus ordered!

Good deal, for $30 Canadian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.