How 2 build a Dynamic Load tester?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been playing with audio amplifiers for some time now and i have always wanted some type of dynamic load to test various types of power supplies and regulaters with.

Anyone know of a way to build such a thing? it would need to handle up to 2000VA and +/- supplies at the same time. it would be nice if it had some sort of signal generator input so that you could test the PSU under test under dynamic conditions.

I was thinking maybe it would be possible to build something with banks of transistors sort of like a shorted power amp output stage or something.

I could just use a amplifer circuit of course but that wont work for what i am really trying to do. I have a batch of nice 2kva toriods that i want to test thermal rise at rated power and % of self regulation. therfore i need a way to "load" the regulated PSU down @ some specific current and take measurments over time.

I could just do it old school style with a mondo bank of power resistors but i am looking for something a bit more elegant and controllable.

I have seen dynamic loads on ebay but i am unfamiler with how they work.

any thoughts on this?

Zero Cool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.