How sre phase changes percieved ?[re filters]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been messing with filters, and wondered about the audible effects of phase change.

Trying to get my head around the issue, would I be right in thinking that changing phase + - degrees would be the equivalent of a source of sound effectively moving back and forth with respect to the listener but without the amplitude change one would perceive if a source were physically moving too and fro?

If for example one had a change of phase of plus to negative
covering the spectra produced by a trumpet ,would that
mean the instrument would effectively be in several positions
simultaneously:xeye: ?

Then again the above could be a product of confused thinking:cannotbe:

Cheers

Setmenu:clown:

[ seems the word ARE has got muddled in the title ...oooops:eek: ]

Well, if that is too confusing, let me submit the easier one for the experts to solve...

Many CDs recorded with 2 microphones. If you place your left speaker on the right side, what will you perceive? Similar thinking. Hey, don't you agree that left-right is sometimes a subjective thing? :D

By the time I notice reversed stereo it's either testing or by the time I'm playing a game. Like... wtf shot at me on my left... well there's a monster to my right... oh, damn stereo's reversed! :D

As for phase, I don't know how to test it as any network that causes a phase change also changes the amplitude. However, I seem to remember the shweeeeeooooouuuu... fade left to right, modulatey, weird sound sometimes used for guitars is a phase change. And that has to preserve the frequency response a bit, so it's possible somehow.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.