TDA 7250 based amplifier toasted!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has somebody build an audio amplifier based on IC TDA 7250 built by ST microelectronic?
I tryed but something is wrong!!!
When the heatsinks are cold it's all right, but at 40°C the darlington i used as finals starts oscillating and they toasted theyrself.

I think 40°C for an heatsink is right but ...... it doesn't work.

Somebody can help me

Hi

I may be able to help. I recently built a Velleman power amp kit based around the 7250. If you want, I can scan and post their schematic for you to try - its different from the designs given on the datasheet, and works very well (using TIP142/7 power darlingtons).

trwh said:
Hi

I may be able to help. I recently built a Velleman power amp kit based around the 7250. If you want, I can scan and post their schematic for you to try - its different from the designs given on the datasheet, and works very well (using TIP142/7 power darlingtons).

I once built one with 2 modules bridged but it wasn't that stable...
can you post the schematic on the forums? It might be a good "backup" amp....

Cheers

Andrea

djdan said:
For Ford_V6

TDA7250 have a overload protection . When a overload will apear TDA7250 activate a mute circuit for 3 seconds. The reference is taken from power rezistor in series with supply.

I found the overload protection was always set too low with the circuit values given. You can increase the trip current by reducing the resistor values, but this then has the disadvantage that this puts up the bias current by the same factor, and the amp runs hot. In the end, what I did was put (IIRC) a 270K resistor between pins 7 and 17 of the chip (the two current sense inputs), which fooled it into turning the bias current back down.

I also found the TDA7250 was a bit prone to blowing up, probably due to overheating, if it was socketed. I've now got it soldered straight in with a DIL heatsink on top, and it's been fine since.

Cheers
IH

Yes you can, but you will be working at almost maximum voltage of +-45V. The TDA7250 chip will get slightly hot, so best to put some heatsink on it.

I run mine at 2*27 - which works out to +-35V. This is the recommended working voltage. No heatsinks necessary for chip.

With a 650W transformer, you can run 3x TDA7250. Just nice for a 6 channel HT amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.