Those pesky Abbreviations!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The incredible André-Marie Ampère indeed used "intensité" or I. He died in 1836 and he developed a theory that magnetism is caused by small currents that occur within the magnetic material. This was proven 60 years after his death.

The U for voltage is another story :) As all stuff was started in Europa things became named often in the language of the founder which could be any European country. The unit name often being derived from the name of the founder. The inventors of that time were contrary to those who achieve things in modern society exclusively male.

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
So I may introduce an new unit for an old energetic phenomenon (in new socks): unit „D“ (like david) for varying levels of ignorance. :D
Mille millions de mille sabords!
(Ok, this was in 18th/19th century, but weren’t there any women in the club (or were they just ignored)? Later on we had marie curie among others…)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
D = 1/(IQ x W). Ignorance =
1/(intelligence x effort)

I just mentioned it as it were almost all white males. The same sort that is seen as the cause for all bad things today in the woke culture. So anyone using their inventions maybe practices “appropriation” if I follow the intense ignorance and stupidity of the woke culture.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Where mho is Ohm in reverse to indicate what the rest of the world calls Siemens. "mho" is according the SI an "unaccepted special name for an SI unit".

BTW Georg Ohm was ignored by the physicists in his home country even after his theory was accepted in the US. It took another 20 years to get acceptance.

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Where mho is Ohm in reverse to indicate what the rest of the world calls Siemens.

BTW Georg Ohm was ignored by the physicists in his home country even after his theory was accepted in the US. It took another 20 years to get acceptance.

It's on my likeable list since the unit of measure tells you something about the physical property, as long as you understand Ohms

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What I have understood over the years is that Ohms Law is law nr. 1 for any person having the electro tic. Strange is that even though it was hammered in our brains during education we never learned the Ohm's Law triangle.

!n argument can be made that Centigrade is far more useful than Celsius.

Had to think that one over but I agree. It would be an exception though (but the world is full of those). For some reason most always mention "degrees" together with "Celsius" while normally one would/should say "20 Celsius" just like "20 Volt". For some reason "20 Centigrade" sounds more practical.

Attachments

• URI-Dreieck-1024x576.png
    URI-Dreieck-1024x576.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
WHen I was learning, Ohm's Law was E=IxR E for "electromotive force".

These days I try always to use V, but in my own bench scribbling I still sometimes write E there.

At some point they decided everything had to have a commemorative name. I learned cps (cycles per second) for AC signals. Very descriptive, hard to misunderstand. Then one day they decided cps was to become Hertz. I eventually managed to teach myself to use that term, but to this day I will say "Apply a 400 cycle tone to the input..." Or "the hum was 60 cycle."

micro-microfarads became picofarads. Now we have nanofarads. As I am retired it is unlikely I will ever adapt to using that term. I understand it, but in my mind forever it will be 1000pf or 0.001uf. Never a nanofarad.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
All more or less US deviations from international standards.

U is voltage (in many languages described as "electrical tension"), E was for potential but it was abandoned it seems. V is the unit for Volts.

As many an error was made with capacitance (0.000000000047 farad = 47 picofarad) it was somehow agreed to use "value x 10-9" for nF and "value x 10-12" for pF etc. Never got around to think that was easier :) Even 30 years ago nF or nanofarad was standard lingo here in lab.

Last edited:
I find it hard to remember that, for example, the ampere (A) is referred to as I.

It is not. Two reasons:

(1) You can use any variable (or "letter") you like to indicate current, as long as the meaning of your variable is clear from the context. "I" is often used as the variable for current, but one should always define it's meaning. There is no universal notation that holds without definition of the variables.

(2) The ampere (A) is the SI unit of the current. There may be other units for current, and "ampere" is not the same as "current".

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What I have understood over the years is that Ohms Law is law nr. 1 for any person having the electro tic. Strange is that even though it was hammered in our brains during education we never learned the Ohm's Law triangle.

Had to think that one over but I agree. It would be an exception though (but the world is full of those). For some reason most always mention "degrees" together with "Celsius" while normally one would/should say "20 Celsius" just like "20 Volt". For some reason "20 Centigrade" sounds more practical.

Centigrade is better, you can reason through it like this: centi =1/100 th of some something. When discussing temperature, the 2 most widely known marks are water freezing and boiling. So arbitrarily assign boiling to 100°, freezing 0° and 100 graduations in between. Centigrade. Celsius just tells you some guys name.

Pano, I don't believe any of the hooey you can read on it. His supporters tried to cover up the fact that he made a thermometer, put the numbers on it and then discovered where water froze and boiled. They even had to concoct something about different salt solutions to make any sense of it. The 180º was nothing more than a convenient resulting afterthought. OTOH, the smart guy chose to put the numbers on his thermometer after he tried it out. A scale of 0-100 makes a lot of sense in a world that uses the decimal system. Fº is only used in one major country of the world and that's still a bit of a mystery don't you think?