diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Multi-Way (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   want to do an OB design, first one. (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/374894-ob-design.html)

sv572 21st July 2021 10:55 PM

want to do an OB design, first one.

Hello gentlemen. I would like some input on an ob system. my budget is around
$500 for drivers and crossover parts. would like a mtm design suggestions. $$ is flexible. I would also like to know if anyone has used the 10 inch dipole from

speaker addict?

ok lets hear it:umbrella:

Pano 22nd July 2021 03:47 AM

If you are planning an first OB on a budget, I suggest you have a look at this thread.
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Some of the recent posts will give you an idea of the sound. In the post post there are links to the current versions.

sv572 22nd July 2021 06:08 PM

first ob speaker build

Thank you for responding. I studied that speaker thread yesterday. I'm looking for
something a little more than that one. My budget is more flexible than that i guess. My past designs and builds have been a few three ways, some bookshelves, but mostly MTM, some floor standing, some with separate subs.
I'm really interested in a OB MTM with a soft or silk dome tweeter or maybe a
planar. Any suggestions, advice, input or experiences are welcomed. Good or bad.
Thank you Sir,
patiently awaiting

benb
sv572

classicalfan 22nd July 2021 06:30 PM

Here you go. Paul Carmody's Sunflower. MTM OB hybrid.

Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Pages - Dipole and Open-Baffle

Pano 22nd July 2021 09:02 PM

You have mentioned MTM and a budget, but what are your other goals? SPL? Efficiency? Baffle size? Woofer size? Bass extension?

classicalfan 22nd July 2021 10:56 PM

I agree with Pano. You are attempting to define a solution without first defining the problem.

An MTM OB may or may not be what you want. It depends on what your goals are.

Pano 23rd July 2021 04:10 AM

When I think OB I don't immediately think 10" woofer, but with two per side you'd have a little more displacement than a singe 12". Somewhere between a 12 and a 15. Not bad.

I don't know the dipole 10" the OP mentions, but maybe it's their IB woofer? It has a very high Qts, low Fs and good x-max. Very inefficient, but maybe that very high Q would help in the bottom end. At least a 10" won't be too hard to cross over to a silk dome tweeter. A Planar could be fun, especially if you can take the back off.

picowallspeaker 23rd July 2021 05:26 AM

MTM with a 10" ?
Crossover for 10” mtm
If parts don't fit, i.e. a pro midwoofer won't take abuse like a long excursion woofer, some changes are on the way. Essentially, I would follow (like at the beginning in of Fast, fun OB thread) the dome tweeter idea...since it's the component less stressed. And then apply the EQ (bi-quad, +10 dB @ 34 Hz as example) and... voilà!

von Ah 23rd July 2021 11:32 AM

Two dome tweeters (front-back) would make the completed speaker dipole.

I like Pano’s idea of using a planar mid-tweet. The slim 8 GRS planar seems to be well liked, inexpensive, and dipole.

GRS PT6816-8 8" Planar Slim Tweeter 8 Ohm

New planar drivers at Parts Express

sv572 3rd August 2021 06:22 PM

Good afternoon Gentlemen.Thank all of you for your response.
Between interweb connectivity issues and getting called into work on my much needed days
of, I apologize for not being prompt.
The IB 10" driver that y'all have mentioned is the driver I'm considering. It does have a low sensitivity. Maybe 85 db with two per baffle ? I like the planar idea. I looked at both
the GRS pt6816 and the pt6825. On paper all these drivers look Ok, crossing over in the
640 to 800hz area. Do any of you have any experience with these drivers, i.e. real data?
As far as the baffle design goes I'm thinking of something that looks like a figure eight
floor stander, not sure. I realize the baffle plays a large part of the overall sound and design.
Your thoughts, recommendations, and all input will be much appreciated.

sv572