diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Dreaming of a DIY power amp (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/368439-dreaming-diy-power-amp.html)

Giovanni1968 25th February 2021 06:40 PM

Dreaming of a DIY power amp

Long story short,

(I never menage to keep it short...), I have a vintage system with AR SP9, Sony ES505, Gyrodec, JBL L220 (90dbW/m) and push pull of KT88 (also an Adcom GFA 535 which is undergoing restoration and upgrades), small listening space, 90s rock, house, some jazz, little little classic... it sounds pretty nicely with my kind of music, I like the tubes vs SS but to keep entertained during these weird times I asked a friend, who's got a true audiophile system (he listens with Sonus Faber Electa bi-amped with twin mono Red Rose power amps...) what about a DIY little power amp with, say, 20-30W and he said, with no hesitation, "Pass First Watt".

Questions:

- would such an amp suffice demand of 90db speakers as by above specs?

- is it something easy to build provided one can retrieve kits/parts and can handle a soldering iron and a multimeter?

- is price/quality ratio favourable vs a commercial product?

- enough current to drive the big JBL woofers?

Suggestions and hints very welcome

Thank you for your patience

Giovanni

Bones13 25th February 2021 06:49 PM

Aleph J is a good place to start if you are new to this game. Some excellent guides here, and boards/JFets from the DIYStore.

They will drive most speakers.

Abx74 25th February 2021 06:53 PM

Hi,

you just have to built the BA3 that 6L6 built in his wonderful guide here.

I built this one, with +/- 32V rail power with a 500VA donut, it easily drive my speakers (91dB with difficult impedence, room is 50mē)... I think It can drive everything with 90dB or more :D

Damien

codyt 25th February 2021 07:05 PM

It looks like your speakers (8ohm/90db) would be a good fit for most of the FW amps. If you prefer the sound of tubes, the Aleph J (as Bones mentioned) would be a good fit. I’d also consider an F6. It’s a simple build and available as a parts kit in the store. It’ll be hard to go wrong though.

Dennis Hui 25th February 2021 07:12 PM

ZM will suggest the M2.

Giovanni, your friend has made an excellent suggestion. :)

analog_sa 25th February 2021 07:24 PM

Those speakers should get at least 20-30W at low distortion, perhaps even 50. Not saying they won't play with something that outputs a clean 5W but it won't be optimal. And they also enjoy a bit of a damping factor. Imho only of course.

adason 25th February 2021 09:14 PM

All good suggestions. I would add F4. While not an amp, just a buffer, will drive anything. Add your favourite preamp, tube or ss or hybrid, and you can have any sound you like. And lot more flexibility.

Zen Mod 25th February 2021 09:23 PM

yup, yor firend gave you good tip, even if he's Audiophile, listening to "proper 'Talian speakers" :rofl:

if you play wise, you'll end with better sound than he, with those Fancy Dynaudios

:clown:

Zen Mod 25th February 2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adason (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/368439-dreaming-diy-power-amp-post6548777.html#post6548777)
All good suggestions. I would add F4. While not an amp, just a buffer, will drive anything. Add your favourite preamp, tube or ss or hybrid, and you can have any sound you like. And lot more flexibility.

agree on that
though , regarding M2 - besides being best and most funny amp (in Entire Universe and Beyond), from practical side - it is nothin more and nothing less than - F4 for us lazy and clueless bstrdz :clown:

william2001 25th February 2021 09:42 PM

Another vote for the F4 with an appropriate high gain / high swing preamp of your choosing...