What cartridge upgrade from a Shure V15 V-MR?

I am considering trying a different cartridge. Maybe a MC. There is nothing wrong with the sound from this Shure MM.
Its just I don't know what more I might be missing.

If I moved to a MC I would also need a step up transformer.

The Shure has been highly regarded over the years, but would a change be a notable upgrade?

Budget, I suppose what it would take for a clear step up.

Linn LP12
I forget the model but I updated to their own light weight carbon arm a fews ago.
Ext. Psu

Yarqin Lesbox tube phono amp
Cary SPL50a preamp (upgraded)
Beard P50 tube amp (upgraded)
Rogers J149 speakers (just love the vocal ability of these) + 2 x b&w subs tuned to support.

Funnily enough I have Hi-Fi Choice,s book on cartridges by Paul Messenger which includes your cartridge.

It didn't get a "Recommended " nor "Best Buy " .
It includes FR graphs .
I will leave out much of the info ( technical + subjective ) but-

Quote-
"Balance was quite good though it favoured mid-range -clear/detailed rather than the extremes which were less well focused .

There was "air"/"space " though depth was a little compressed .
Bass was powerful but a little "plummy " ,while the treble had a slightly "lispy " quality.
Overall effect was a lack of "energy " and a slightly "shut in " sound .

He was disappointed due to high expectations especially in regards to the treble , especially at that price level --he preferred the cheaper ML140HE which he says is "better balanced " .

And again funnily enough --guess what he listened on ? -- a Linn LP12 .

The Shure has been highly regarded over the years, but would a change be a notable upgrade?

Maybe try a Jico stylus.

Linn LP12
I forget the model but I updated to their own light weight carbon arm a fews ago.

Linn never made (or contracted) a carbon arm. Is it possible you have a Project arm? Like the one that was on the Majic level LP12 for a while?

jeff

I have owned your Shure and used it extensively years back. I have been using the newer AT VM540ML and I love it. A true giant killer in my book. Highly recommended in Stereophile and I agree. Have used a mix of MM and MC over the years but the only one I enjoyed as much was the Sumiko Talisman Alchemist years ago.

Don't fall into the trap that MC is better than MM this was a marketing ploy by the manufactures to sell MC cartridges at a premium price, I know because I used to work for one. In those days most MC's used better stylus profiles than MM, except for a few like Stanton/Pickering that used Shibata. The Stanton 881s will produce an almost perfect squarewave its frequency response is so flat. MM's don't have the horrible high frequency rise that a lot of MC's have

I will vouch for the Jico stylus. I use a Technics EPC205 and have 3 stylus for it, an original Technics mk3 with the hollow boron pipe CL, and Jico SAS/Boron and SAS/Ruby. The SAS/B is slightly better than the OEM and the SAS/R beats both.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are a couple of good Nagaoka (MP200 or MP300) and AT MM that you could look at.

MC types tend to be lower compliance, higher mass cartridges and tend not to be a good match on low mass arms due to their low to medium compliance. There are some high output types from Sumiko and others that might be worth considering.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
JICO is a Japanese company that makes stylus, they have many different diamond cuts as well as Ruby etc. My favorite is a neo SAS cut, you need to find the sweet spot during adjustment. It took me a couple of hours to find the spot with mine, as it gets closer to the ideal adjustment the sound comes alive, you can't miss finding the spot.
An internet search will add better info.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting question as the V15V is up there in the top group of most accurate cartridges ever made as well as having some pretty trick tech with the thin wall Be tube cantilever. If your arm is low enough mass the you have a keeper there unless you want to explore other directions.

He was disappointed due to high expectations especially in regards to the treble , especially at that price level --he preferred the cheaper ML140HE which he says is "better balanced " .
And again funnily enough --guess what he listened on ? -- a Linn LP12 .

Could this preference stem from his riia being less suited for the v15v? Who knows if his evaluation is only valid for his ears and system -including speakers?
Cheers!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Don't fall into the trap that MC is better than MM this was a marketing ploy by the manufactures to sell MC cartridges at a premium price, I know because I used to work for one. In those days most MC's used better stylus profiles than MM, except for a few like Stanton/Pickering that used Shibata. The Stanton 881s will produce an almost perfect squarewave its frequency response is so flat. MM's don't have the horrible high frequency rise that a lot of MC's have

I tend to agree with you on MC cartridges.
To me, they're inconvenient in having to send them out somewhere for retipping.
And with shipping issues these days, that only adds to the headaches.

Those MC's are for obsessed self proclaimed picky audiophiles who must enjoy the hassles involved.

With the demise of Shure, Stanton, etc, I'm partial to the Audio Technica line.
MM of course - I like the convenience of owner-changing styli.
Much less muss and fuss.

Could this preference stem from his riia being less suited for the v15v? Who knows if his evaluation is only valid for his ears and system -including speakers?
Cheers!

Music is subjective and equipment changes with time as well as views but the advice given to millions of British citizens involved in high quality audio reproduction was given by a range of UK well known "Golden Ears " at the time .

Professional testing equipment was hired from technical companies and great lengths went to achieve a consistency across a wide range of cartridges ( in this case ) so that the public could get a well informed judgement on the perceived quality of what in many cases amounted to very expensive items .

Types of arm compatible with the cartridges were used and unlike nowadays very comprehensive technical and subjective details were given ----and listened to by millions .

This went downhill due to the digital innovation but now there is a resurgence of analogue record deck use and sales are up but the same quality of deeper information is no longer being supplied to the public as it could be viewed as hurting commercial interests.

?

I tend to agree with you on MC cartridges.
To me, they're inconvenient in having to send them out somewhere for retipping.
And with shipping issues these days, that only adds to the headaches.

Those MC's are for obsessed self proclaimed picky audiophiles who must enjoy the hassles involved.

With the demise of Shure, Stanton, etc, I'm partial to the Audio Technica line.
MM of course - I like the convenience of owner-changing styli.
Much less muss and fuss.

What MC cartridges have you owned?
I like Audio Technica as well. I used to use a Shure V15-V, and before that a Shure M92E. I upgraded from the MM AT440ML to the MC AT-0C9ML/II and MC AT33PTG/II. Audio Technica has an exchange program where you can send in your cartridge when you've worn the stylus out, the charge for me was on par with the price of a replacement stylus for the MM VM540ML. If you know how to write AT an email and then mail a package, then this is in your realm of skills. I didn't have to buy a step up transformer either; I use these MC carts with a Phonoclone 4 phono preamp I built; a preamp that has support on this very forum. I don't see where the hassles are.

Other recommendations so far have been.
London Decca super gold. Not sure how one would behave on my arm.
Grace F9 have a fan base but not readily available.
Is a Jico a notable step up or something to plan in when the original stylus shows its age. Thinkng about this, I am estimating mine to only be around 300 hrs.
There isn't a crowd shouting out for low output MCs