• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mini Crescendo worth reviving?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am finally getting back into audio gear. Raising kids has life go off in different directions? Back in 1984 I built the Mini Crescendo from Elektor plans but my own board layout. I built it in Germany before my move to Canada. It was last powered on around 1998. The toroid on the build is a 220V type which won’t work too well on our 110V here.

Question, if I picked up a new Hammond Mfg transformer I am stuck choosing the 60V or 80V Center Tapped. I am leaning towards 2x30V. Considering it’ll be over $100 and the filter caps also need replacing I am wondering if this venture is even worth it?

Adi

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If it doesn't work out then the 30-0-30 transformer could be used for something else such as an LM3886 based amp (edit... a bit marginal perhaps for an LM3886 but there are lots of other designs). I wouldn't go any higher voltage wise.

The reservoir caps might be old but that doesn't mean they are no good. I would use a DBT (dim bulb tester) for initial powering up and do a quick check that the DC offset is zero at the speaker terminals.

A 220v 50Hz transformer on 110 volts 60Hz should work without issue... give it whirl... a low powered Micro Mini Crescendo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.