• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Potentiometer sound quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just fitted a 100k TKD 2CP-2511 pot to replace an old blue ALPs, sort of expecting better things from an old scratchy pot.

In short I don't like it yet.

It sounds a lot less real/dynamic and musical. It has less warmth and bass and seems more shut in and 2D. It has lost all the micro-dynamics and tangibility and texture that makes it sound like live music. It has got a bit smother perhaps, but this is like an over-damped opaque smoothness quality. Sort of a bit like the classic passive preamp sound clean but lifeless, and constrained.

I have had to wire this in with fly leads, as it is not PCB mounted and at the same time I have replaced my power supply caps in the preamp as they were nearly 40 years old....so there are other things going on.

BUT I want my old sound back, I thought this would be better or at least the same, not worse.

It has not had much time to run in, so that's my only other hope

Thoughts?

Is this tidy, clean but dynamically controlled/polite sound a TKD character?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thoughts... 'running in' won't change a thing.

You mention all you have done and so it is impossible to say the pot is causing a difference in itself. You have changed caps and added leads to the control.

Perhaps the biggest factor may simply be that you were expecting great things and noticeable differences and so it is a bit of an anti climax that in fact nothing has actually changed and yet you perceive it as being 'worse.

Otherwise known as 'experimenter expectation :) it is quite a common effect.

Just keep listening with an open mind and if after several days it still sounds consistently worse then you will have to retrace our steps and brings it back to original condition and then carry out changes one at a time.

Fair comment, but it is no question sounding worse - listened 3 times; and actually what I wanted to hear an improvement with was my damn hum with the new PS caps, but alas not on that front.

Can't believe new for old caps could change the sound, HT is like for like Sprague atom, LT heater is different brand but the same value. (RIFA out, ELNA in) = could LT smoothing caps change the sound.....?

ALPS got destroyed on exit... but they are quite cheap new if I want to swap it back in.

I am using Duelund cable for the jumpers to the new pot as it's not PCB mount, and that does take time to run in - but in my experience using it as an interconnect it was not flat at first, just a bit messy and untidy with plenty of dynamics and a little bass shy to begin with.

Caps were from Banzai music in Germany.

Sprague Atoms to replace the same
ELNA RFS to replace RIFA same value (this is a possible change in sound) on the LT side.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 13.46.29.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 13.46.29.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 13.46.56.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-02 at 13.46.56.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 365
It sounds a lot less real/dynamic and musical. It has less warmth and bass and seems more shut in and 2D. It has lost all the micro-dynamics and tangibility and texture that makes it sound like live music. It has got a bit smother perhaps, but this is like an over-damped opaque smoothness quality. Sort of a bit like the classic passive preamp sound clean but lifeless, and constrained.
All of this because of replacing a pot with another same resistance, different brand, 1 or 2 inches away (at most) from original position?

* Nonsense
* expectation bias
* insecurity/anxiety

Pick one or more, NONE with any Physical reality, all psychological.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.