Home theater - LCR Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is Onur. Actually I got help in this forum almost 2.5 years ago before I visited my friends in USA. At that trip and afterwards I got some drivers but didn't have time/resources to build something. Actually, I put two drivers in a PVC pipe and used them as atmos ceiling speakers, not sure if it counts :)

Right now we are in the process of moving into a new place. I have a dedicated home theater room 320 x 550 x 230 cm (w x h x d - 10.5 x 18 x 7.5 feet) and finished the cabling.

I will use nylon/spandex acoustically transparent screen (around 120" 16:9 or 114" 2.39:1) and put speakers behind them.

I would like to get your opinions around what to do for LCR speaker setup.

What I have in hand:

1) AV123 Strata Mini (tower speakers) - pair
2) Stone Image Audio Rothschilde A2 (bookshelf speakers) - pair
3) Wharfedale 2180 (pro speakers) - 7 of them
4) Visaton BG-20 drivers (BG 20 - 8 Ohm | Visaton) - 3 of them
5) Visaton DTW 72 drivers (DTW 72 - 8 Ohm | Visaton) - 3 of them
6) Tymphany TC9FD18-08 drivers (TC9FD18-08 - Tymphany) - 7 of them
7) subwoofers: infinity 1260w in a 45x45x50 cm enclosure (around 90 liters) - 2 of them

I am thinking to use strata mini's in the living room, not in the home theater room; but, if I use them in the HT room I found a center kit with the similar atohm drivers with the mini's (Kit Sirocco C.1 - ATOHM).

What would you do? Which drivers/design would you recommend for my application?

Best,
Onur

Last edited:
In your case I wonder if it would be good to place a flat surface/false wall behind your screen and build your speakers "in wall." Unless I misunderstand it seems like that is the primary advantage you'll have over other home theaters. Your setup allows you to reduce boundary problems.

Hello Bradley, what would be the advantage of putting speakers in wall rather than free standing behind the screen?

The reason I am using AT screen is due to limited width of the room (267cm screen width vs. 320cm room width; i.e. limited space to put LR speakers near the screen). Unfortunately to reach the avr, amp, speakers, etc. I need to crawl under the screen :)

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome!

Cinemas use horns and so do I and recommend, so assume doesn't meet the needs of your app and don't keep track of the many good DIY designs available these days to suggest any in particular.

Based on your current choices, really need to get a moderator to move this thread to the Multi_Way forum where they do.

Good luck with it! :)

GM

A few rambling thoughts

Greg is likely correct in that this enquiry might be better served with cogent replies if relocated to multi-way forum, but in any case:

Are you able to provide a scaled dimensional sketch of the room in question, including location of doors, windows, and built-in storage, etc? That could impact location of equipment and perhaps type of enclosure designs should you elect to build for some of the channels. If a closet or other well ventilated storage cabinet is available and the system can be operated by remote control, then getting the bulk of the gear out of the speakers way is never a bad idea - but it can certainly complicate wiring.

Since it sounds like you’re planning on a projection system and acoustically transparent screen, as long as you’ve got sufficient length of room there shouldn’t be any issue with size or type of enclosures behind the screen. Unless I missed it, it’s not stated what type of signal processing and how many channels you’re considering altogether, so this is all based on some assumptions.

I’ve been running a 7.1 channel system for quite few years now, and have long been a fan of both discrete as opposed to phantom centres and maintaining voicing characteristics across the main front row LCR trio. This thread was first posted in the “Full Range” ( aka “wide-band”/single driver to most of us), and while my HT system has for at least the last 10yrs been primarily based on single driver designs (Fostex and Mark Audio to be precise), I’ve built a couple of larger multi-driver 2-way systems as well.

As you already have 7 channels of the Wharfedales they’d certainly be on my short list to try there first, but unless you’ve already done so I’d suggest a direct listening comparison between a pair of them and the Stratas on two channel music only and see if you have a preference. After all, you’ll be the one listening to the system and at the end of the day yours is the only opinion that matters. If you prefer the Stratas, then I’d definitely consider the Sirroco kit for the centre.
I’d also opine that with the surround/effects channels - which at the current “state of the art” could amount to another 9 channels - it’s less important to maintain timbral matching to the front row, but that each cohort of surround channels should be as closely matched to each other as possible - does that make sense?

In addition to the several pairs of assembled speakers, you have listed some quite well respected drivers - certainly a total population more than required to assemble a single decent multi-channel system. Indeed, unless you have a list of other projects, it might be time to consider downsizing that collection.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your message. I tried to draw a scaled sketch (attached to this message). I am planning to put the electronics behind the AT screen (either at the center or close to near walls, it doesn't affect my viewing experience so no problems there). Ceiling is a hung-type (dont know the term) by gypsum boards; filled with rockwool in between the concrete and gypsum boards (net height is 230cm).

As you guessed, there is a projector (optoma uhd300x) just behind the main seating position. Like yours, mine will be a 5.2.2 atmos system (7 speakers and 2 subwoofers placed around the middle of the room); or perhaps I will use 7.2.

I was using wharfedales but they are not anywhere close to strata minis, both in audio wise (what I hear) and frequency response wise. I have a umik-1 and REW and will utilize it to try the acoustical treatment within the room after setting up the system. Besides, rotschilde speakers are really musical and I enjoy the sound of them immensely. I was thinking to use strata minis and rothschildes in different parts of the house and planning to use visaton combinations or tcdfd drivers in the home theater, but don't know which enclosure to build for home cinema usage.

Among other things, ceramic tiles on the floor would be another problem. I do not want to cover them with a carpet since there is underfloor heating and Ankara is cold in winters.

So, after re-thinking, I believe I am after a design for visaton combinations or tcdfd drivers...

Thanks again.
Onur

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Home theater front speakers

Hello,

This is Onur. I opened a similar thread in the full range section, but I got several recommendations to open it here.

Right now we are in the process of moving into a new place. I have a dedicated home theater room 320 x 550 x 230 cm (w x h x d - 10.5 x 18 x 7.5 feet) and finished the cabling.

I will use nylon/spandex acoustically transparent screen (around 120" 16:9 or 114" 2.39:1) and put speakers behind them.

What I have in hand:

1) AV123 Strata Mini (tower speakers) - pair
2) Stone Image Audio Rothschilde A2 (bookshelf speakers) - pair
3) Wharfedale 2180 (pro speakers) - 7 of them
4) Visaton BG-20 drivers (BG 20 - 8 Ohm | Visaton) - 3 of them
5) Visaton DTW 72 drivers (DTW 72 - 8 Ohm | Visaton) - 3 of them
6) Tymphany TC9FD18-08 drivers (TC9FD18-08 - Tymphany) - 7 of them
7) subwoofers: infinity 1260w in a 45x45x50 cm enclosure (around 90 liters) - 2 of them

I am thinking to use strata mini's in the living room, not in the home theater room; but, if I use them in the HT room I found a center kit with the similar atohm drivers with the mini's (Kit Sirocco C.1 - ATOHM).

I tried to draw a scaled sketch (attached to this message). I am planning to put the electronics behind the AT screen (either at the center or close to near walls, it doesn't affect my viewing experience so no problems there). Ceiling is a hung-type (dont know the term) by gypsum boards; filled with rockwool in between the concrete and gypsum boards (net height is 230cm).

There will be a projector (optoma uhd300x) just behind the main seating position. Audio signalling will be a 5.2.2 atmos system (7 speakers and 2 subwoofers placed around the middle of the room); or perhaps I will use 7.2.

I was using wharfedales but they are not anywhere close to strata minis, both in audio wise (what I hear) and frequency response wise. I have a umik-1 and REW and will utilize it to try the acoustical treatment within the room after setting up the system. Besides, rotschilde speakers are really musical and I enjoy the sound of them immensely. I am thinking to use strata minis and rothschildes in different parts of the house and planning to use visaton combinations or tcdfd drivers in the home theater, but don't know which enclosure to build for home cinema usage.

I would like to get your opinions around what to do for LCR speaker setup.

Best,
Onur

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 87
You could use the visaton full ranges for rear and center. Since you have 7 use 6 of them in pair per speaker (x3) for instance 50x30cm front baffle and 30cm depth giving 45l large boxes plenty of power for the use.

Secondly those subs I don’t know. Look like car subs. I’d find something else and put also them behind the screen with the mains and center.

What what is going to be your mains is the real question to be honest.
What’s your budget. What’s the plan for electronics.
Room layout is a bit tricky too.

In my opinion all speakers should be the same type.
I’d build something similar to 5x Klipsch Heresy + 2x15” sub and you will be happy for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
After reading both threads (now merged) I realize that you really have no specific questions.

What do you want advice on?
Room layout?
Rear and center speakers?
Front speakers?
Subs?
Reuse any of your old drivers or new?
What is your budgets?
What is your plan with electronics?
Are you looking for DIY at all, or buy factory stuff? If the later go to AVSForum.

I still feel like in a room like this 5x identical PA speakers with 12” bass + compression driver with waveguide horns would be your best bet to control the power, simple and effective 2-ways with high SPL and punch. Before I’ll point in any further direction I’d like to know if you plan to build yourself and what is the budget and how much experience do you have with DIY. Also I would consider a different sub. And also the location of the sub. Perhaps on the rear.

The room is complicated and needs some attention. I would have lots of furniture in the rear. A big book shelf or something heavy do stop reflections from the wall of sound from front. Plants, paintings, carpets and rugs all help here. Lots of cushions in the sofa.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.