F3X

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
have none of these, so - it didn't crossed my mind

The first electrostatic speaker I listened to was at a co-worker's house. It was Acoustat model X which had a direct drive tube amplifier. The sound was very different from any other speaker and in a good way. The speakers are push-pull and the THD is on the order of 10X lower than voice coil magnet speakers.

That led me to build a pair of Roger Sanders DIY ESLs in the 1980s. They were driven using a pair of UTC tube transformers that I still have. I always wanted to listen to ELSs with a direct drive amp.

Now I have Stax Lambda and Stax Gamma ESL headphones with a Stax SRM-313 direct drive amp. It uses Toshiba JFET inputs a-la Pass but all the rest is garden variety BJTs which I would like to transform into SIT driven output stage a-la Pass F3.

The DC rails on the Stsx amp are + / - 300V and the bias on the diaphragms is something like 240V.

I think an F3 based design can be DC coupled for this application.

umm . . .

For those who have been hording LU's or waiting for a balanced F3 amp, ZM proposed the following.
:D

That was followed by what I am convinced is easily the single greatest perpetration of diyaudio in history.

donut-a-la-overkill

Called the Choky Susy F3 or Donut a'la Overkill

There is a pic in one of the threads where they were pouring the case at the foundry. Epic. Attached is one pic I keep and look at when I need inspiration.

Attachments

• post-18-124854439628.jpg
    post-18-124854439628.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.