FE206En in the fe208 recommended enclosure

Good afternoon,

planning to build FE208 recommended enclosure with some fe206 drivers.

As any decent Marina ply is really hard to come by in my area, I managed to buy some 2440x1220 18mm Birch Marine Ply locally.

I have had some fe206en's in storage for some time now, and I need to get some enclosures to get them out and active again.

Because of the so many cuts needed to make the fe208Sigma recommended enclosure, I have passed the wood onto a a client of mine in the cabinetry business who is going to cut the wood for me, because I have done a few previous smaller builds, so I know I am not that good at straight cuts :)

Back of my mind it is also to get some supertweeters, but I'll be happy to listen with the standard build first,then possibly look at the FT17H tweeters.

I have a range of amps 70's - 90's all solid state so will be interesting to see which one will sound the best with these drivers.
Or I may need to delve into the Valve/Tube world as feedback based on the sensitivity of the fe206's is that Valve/Tube amps are the go.

With a bit of luck, I'll have them built and running over the Christmas period, so looking forward to listening to these drivers.

You will have fun building these. I built some about 10 years ago. I had the local timber yard cut all the pieces for me and they did a pretty good job. When built they weigh about 140lbs:D

SAmQAsB.jpg

The FE206 recommended horn is not as good with the FE206 as the FE208 recommended horn. You move from poor to OK. There are better horns for these drivers.

dave

That is true, the recommended horns of Fostex are very bright and almost no bass. This is a horn i've heared (a friend build one) and is much better. Not a very deep bass, but the bass is there and in balance with the top end. It also include a filter to tame the top end.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Solo-206.pdf

The full plans are available when you contact the owner of Humble Homemade Hifi

You could certainly do better than the Humble Horn, it looks to be much the same as the decades old BK-201.

dave

It's a lot better i can assure you (i heared both). But if it's the best, i don't know. I never worked with this driver myself nor made BLH's. But if you got a better suggestion, shoot...

This horn got a longer hornpath so the response is reasonable low and sound reasonable flat with the correction network. I did not measure it altough. It's not sounding bad. The BK-201 is not listenable for me, way to brigth piercing for my ears.

Ok, possibly Kirishima may be the go, the Vulcan looks to be really for a bigger space than the Kirishima? The Dallas2's don't really do it for me for some reason.

I've got the cabinetmaker to hold off the cutting up, and will punch in the figures for the Kirishima to see if it fits in the sheets I have.

the plans don't note the side's I assume as they aren't in the list. 2 x 474 x 1819

one might build a Karlson K12 - perhaps the 2nd version from 1956 (published in the July 1958 issue of Popular Mechanics), use say a 14 square inch single vent rather than the distributed vent, then have fun. It would not go as low as a proper BLH, but the bass and midbass it has would be reasonably coherent. There would be some energy storage effects and reflections. (Those may enhance the experience. :) ). A "Karlsonator" should work too but I think GregB's Karlsonator 8 tuned at 41Hz, might be tuned a bit too low for FE206 so one could ask XRK971 to run some sims to optimize a Karlsonator 8.

FE206_ is one of the best Karlson drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...the plans don't note the side's I assume as they aren't in the list. 2 x 474 x 1819

The list only contains the cuts that are all the same width which is all of them but the sides.

Kirishima likely needs a bigger room. Vulcan is a bit deeper (i’m recalling from a long time ago), and needs to be a bit off the wall (it uses the wall or corner as part of the horn), but with Kirishima you need to be sufficently far enuff for the WMW (mouth-driver-mouth) to integrate.

dave

Lounge is around 8 x 6 meters. So small room really. But I'm only renting at the moment. Would probably be better 9n the shed which is 9 x 9 concrete block. I have looked at the k12 before. And might be a better fit for the lounge. I don't have a WAF to worry about, as the GF loves good sound no matter what. Currently have a set of ns700x yamaha speakers in the space at the moment. I assume there is a design for the k12 design for the fe206 available i can do a cut list for?
Q. Assuming enclosures are for a 5 x 7 meter space, would the kirishimas be too big?
Arg, so many options.
Kirishima or k12 then?

-
Kirishima likely needs a bigger room. Vulcan is a bit deeper (i’m recalling from a long time ago), and needs to be a bit off the wall (it uses the wall or corner as part of the horn), but with Kirishima you need to be sufficently far enuff for the WMW (mouth-driver-mouth) to integrate.

dave

Not really small. Bigger than my listening area. Suggestted minimum listening distance for Kirishima is >3m

dave
Kirishima is a front mouth-driver-mouth, Vulcan double mouth is in the rear/direct-radiating driver in front, does that allow for closer listening distances than the Kirishima, and if so what is the suggested minimum listening distance for the Vulcan?