floor to ceiling horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've been back to thinking about line arrays, and how to get better bass response with them without resorting to ridiculous amounts of boost. Wondering if there is anything like this idea here to have the opening of a horn go floor to ceiling? Not sure how it would work, perhaps a couple of large drivers inside the main part of the cabinet, with an array of tweeters at some point inside of the horn? I was thinking this might be able to help have better off axis response?

or perhaps a line of full range drivers inside the horn with some sort of exponential taper to it? if it were sized right, maybe could make up for the falling response of the array on the high end, and at least remove that EQ hurdle?

construction could be either stacked MDF/plywood, or better would be to cut slits and bend along its length, since stacked wood that high is asking for trouble. Not sure how to get the drivers inside, but an access panel on the front might allow for the to be put in on the inside of a baffle facing the horn.

This is probably a crazy idea, but maybe it's a stroke of genius? I was originally thinking that it would be a way to have a relatively large cabinet for a bass to mid speaker that would feed the sound out alongside a floor to ceiling array, or symmetricly along both sides of an array of tweeters placed in the middle of the horn opening.

TALLHORN.jpg

The modal region of your room will place a limit on how much benefit you'll gain by pushing your arrays into the bass frequency range.

Instead, design your arrays to work down to the modal region then cross over to a separate low frequency loudspeaker system.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-14 143626.png
    Annotation 2020-08-14 143626.png
    540.9 KB · Views: 396
That’s the plan actually, but I was simply curious if anyone had ever tried to make a floor to ceiling horn type speaker. Maybe not full transmission line length to the horn, but something to behave like a line array in terms of sound. Maybe it wouldn’t need so many drivers to get the same sound pattern as an array to have a horn-like opening that goes floor to ceiling like this?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can get 3-4 octaves out of a horn.

With an array you could like use those in the bottom octaves.

Divide the wall you are listening to into 2 and then design a back horn to a mouth that will probably need to slit load the array to get a mouth anywhere near small enuff for horn loading — just a wild *** guess, i’ve only done the math for midrange arrays.

What is on the other side of the wall? I knew someone on one of the local islands that had concrete horns extending out into his garden.

dave

This reminded me that there use to be a house here in Atlanta with a false wall Altec 604 mono BLH with a floor/ceiling slit mouth in each corner. I was pretty young, so about all I can say sound wise is that even though the 15" 604 was a huge speaker to 10 yr old, the fullness, life-like reproduction seemed to be even greater than the three horn arrays behind the screen at the 'Fabulous' Fox Theater that made such a lasting impression.

Of course it was massive room gain that made the difference.

Anyway, having done numerous corner systems that weren't suppose to perform well, but did to one's ears, I see no reason why it won't work, though only need the array to be ~70% of the height to be 'infinite'.

FYI/FWIW corner array: The Murphy Corner-Line-Array Home Page

GM

I’m wondering if the lows-mids could be coming from an appropriate sized enclosure, but radiating from the slit/horn shape? It doesn’t seem like you could feed a vertical slit like that with a horn long enough horn to have it help extend the bass.

A full height room corner is a huge parabolic horn, so the actual horn only needs to be long enough for loading the BW above it.

GM

Maybe it wouldn’t need so many drivers to get the same sound pattern as an array to have a horn-like opening that goes floor to ceiling like this?

If you read through Jim Griffin's line array paper you'll see center to center spacing between sources in an array is frequency dependent. If you chose 1/2 wavelength your sources would be 2.25 feet center to center at 250Hz (resulting in less than 1/2 wavelength spacing for all wavelengths longer/lower than 250Hz.) A 12 foot ceiling room height would need 5 to 6 speakers to create an array that operates 250Hz and below. As you go above 250Hz you need to decrease the distance of center to center spacing, meaning you need more drivers in arrays that play into higher frequencies.

The challenge in arrays is getting them to play well in the high frequencies because low frequencies are easy.

Last edited:
True, and more so in a horn loaded scenario as the horn design sets the pattern, gain BW with no c-t-c considerations other than in throat design. The trade-off is one needs a horn within a horn for HF as DSL's large PA arrays prove.

A somewhat way around it is to use HF horn loaded co/tri-ax drivers.

GM

So I've been back to thinking about line arrays, and how to get better bass response with them without resorting to ridiculous amounts of boost. Wondering if there is anything like this idea here to have the opening of a horn go floor to ceiling? Not sure how it would work, perhaps a couple of large drivers inside the main part of the cabinet, with an array of tweeters at some point inside of the horn? I was thinking this might be able to help have better off axis response?

or perhaps a line of full range drivers inside the horn with some sort of exponential taper to it? if it were sized right, maybe could make up for the falling response of the array on the high end, and at least remove that EQ hurdle?

construction could be either stacked MDF/plywood, or better would be to cut slits and bend along its length, since stacked wood that high is asking for trouble. Not sure how to get the drivers inside, but an access panel on the front might allow for the to be put in on the inside of a baffle facing the horn.

This is probably a crazy idea, but maybe it's a stroke of genius? I was originally thinking that it would be a way to have a relatively large cabinet for a bass to mid speaker that would feed the sound out alongside a floor to ceiling array, or symmetricly along both sides of an array of tweeters placed in the middle of the horn opening.

View attachment 893591

ive been thinking about a design like this for years i think its possible to do a cellular design with a bunch of stacked smaller enclosures

i love the design though and im following this thread

Attachments

• 30499-d5f38ad412ba436ebe153768f6e911b4.jpg
    30499-d5f38ad412ba436ebe153768f6e911b4.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.