Help on question for Inductor in CLC Class A amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all,

I have a Class A amp power supply on my Krell Clone - Pinkmouse boards)

Anyway, I want to change the CRC to CLC to see power supply ripple reduction.

I saw a few pics that the Pass amps have an iron core inductor (similar to Speaker crossover coils). I did find in my stash two chokes of 4.75mh and .2 ohms DCR (amp rating unknown). These look like vintage Altec Lansing Iron Core Crossover inductors - see pics... look to be 16awg wire...

I remember years ago trying this and the inductors got quite hot (I am pulling around 6A per rail) after a while, but so did the whole damn amp!.

The power supply is a 1KVA Toroid into a 25A Rectifier - 56,000uf - L - 56,000uf and rails are +/- 36VDC.

Anyway, if only .2ohms and 6 amp, 16awg, how to guess at power capabilities (weigh it?)

Whats too hot? Yes, I get that I dont wanna melt the coating...

I see crossover iron core inductors rated at 500W but only .2ohms DCR - how / why? I know there is more to this than Amp x Resistance going into the power rating...

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 184
Gapped cores hold their inductance at value for a greater variation on DC current.

Ungapped cores have a decrease in inductance vs DC current that can start happening with very little current...they start to saturate quickly.

Some inductor manufacturers rate their cores at a 10% decrease in inductance at the quoted saturation current.

Inductance and resistance are only part of an inductors' ratings / characteristics.

If you are passing enough current to saturate the core of your inductor you may end up with an effective R...not the L you were looking for.

Attachments

• Inductance vs Current.JPG
    Inductance vs Current.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 173
Joined 2005
Paid Member
So it is just the resistance? In other words the resistance does not change with a saturated core?

All I was ever seeing was the 7 watts of heat? OK. maybe overly concerned over nothing.

I have 13mH 500W Sledghammers coming and according to PSU Designer, should drop the ripple down to less than half of what it is now.

From PSU Designer adding the 13mH will drop it from 250mv to around 100mv. Still high tho, yes? I can hear a little hum on some speakers, but nothing thru my Quad ESL-988...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.