• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What's your favorite circuit for the 45?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can only talk of my experience of driver stages with PSE 4P1L and 300b. I've tried out a lot - plate chokes, gyrator/active load, interstage... And various tubes from DHT to indirectly heated.

My preference is for a plate choke for the driver stage, using a Russian teflon FT-2 cap or rather 2 in // = 0.2uF.

I went through several DHT drivers. 2P29L was OK but not so sparkling in the treble. 4P1L was detailed and dynamic but a little thin. 10Y was very dynamic. 46 was a bit more subtle. 26 didn't have enough drive. 46 probably the best of the bunch. 47 probably as good.

Then on to indirectly heated tubes in triode (didn't manage to get a pentode to work). The high mu ones offering a 2 stage design are popular and plenty of possibilities. I ended up preferring a bigger tube like a 6V6 or EL84. They were both quite good in triode. Best was an EL33, which is currently in my system. Haven't tried 6P25, KT61 or similar tubes. This means you need gain in a preamp or DAC or whatever, but at least you get a good driver stage.

That's all I can say - hope it's of some help.

The Yamamoto A-08S is a very popular 45 amp and I can confirm it is very good sounding within the power range. For my Zu speakers, the EML 45 tubes give the most authoritative sound. This RC coupled amp uses a 717A as a pentode driver with the screen grids regulated to 123V with a string of zeners and 150V on the plate for 3mA cathode current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.