Help with Symetrix 544 power transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are plenty of "pin through " PCB transformers online at say 24 volts ,if you cant find an exact mechanical match you can drill the PCB to suite and reroute the connections watching you don't interfere with the copper on the other side.

Do NOT !!! try to bend the pins to fit --you have been warned.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After voltage: as a first crack, get one the same *size*.

I doubt this is 20-24V @2A, maybe nearer 0.5A, but it has been a while since I fondled transformers for pay.

EDIT: we can scale the size of the original against the DIP chips with 0.1" pin spacing. The original seems to be about 2/3rd of the linear dimensions. So it is probably 0.3X the weight and the VA. Which puts it near 12VA-15VA, or 48V 0.3A.

Working the other way: 2 dozen(?) chips at 5mA-10mA each is 150mA-200mA DCwhich suggests a 0.3A AC rating.

Attachments

• spoontex-544-42.gif
    spoontex-544-42.gif
    87.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Today I mounted two toroidal transformers in series ( 12V 1A each one ), for checking voltages and power consumption.

The voltage regulators works are expected. And the power consumption, measured in AC on each secondary winding of transformers are 34mA more or less, so with two windings they are 170mA more or less. It's possible?

If I check the voltages and power conumptions rigght, a transformer with 12-0-12 and 0.5mA it's enough.

I'm thinking on put an external transformer like the ones on mixer consoles, only for avoid drilling pcb and other botched job.

Behringer PSU6-EU – Thomann Espana

Behringer PSU5-EU – Thomann Espana

And this is a photo of the multimeter:

https://i.ibb.co/rfCb0WZ/IMG-20200822-105618084.jpg

Last edited:
It obviously needs less current than I thought , personally I am not keen on using external power supplies for a PCB intended for a mains transformer due to pick up of external radiation due to the long leads used to feed the PCB but if you are happy with it its your choice .

A "botched job " is only that if it is not thought out and "rushed " I would still fit a soldered in mains transformer it just requires thought on the layout .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.