Egg-closures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The eggs were laid on my doorstep today, fortunately well bubble wrapped in a box.

I would say they are new but could have failed QC. One has a paint dribble on it's forehead. I was glad to find the woofer holes have moulded in metal threaded inserts, plugged with silicone for the painting. The tweeter and Speakon rear connector holes have not been threaded. Inside there is a sticker saying who made it, a company called Tecni-form in Stone, Staffordshire. They do plastic roto-moulding, things like interiors for JCBs and baby changing stations: tecni-form.com |

They're light but seem very strong. They do have a high frequency resonance to them, easily set off with a finger flick or even just talking into the woofer hole. Tested with a t-shirt inside, they are pretty dead.

I found some specs that suggested they are 14 litres inside, but I suspect this is an incorrect carry-over from the Egg 150 specs. Edit: official specs do say "Speaker effective internal volume: 14 Litres". Manual https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/media/36/368359/download_368359.pdf. Quite an expensive original price (£1299) for passive crossovers, 2 x 30W amp and fairly economical drivers. £499 from G4M is more like it.

A few rough measurements:

Egg woofer hole:

97mm cutout
120mm main diam
107mm between flats
screws on 110mm PCD

Almost ties up with the 4" Peerless SDS 830855 which has:

123mm main diam
114mm hole PCD
105mm truncated frame dimension
64mm truncated dimension width
92mm hole cutout

Egg tweeter:

47mm cutout
65mm main diam
4 holes, 40mm square
57mm PCD

I was looking at the Peerless BC tweeter specs and wondering which ones would fit well. The one I'd seen mentioned is the 1" fabric dome BC25SC06-04 but I've come to the conclusion that can't be correct. The Egg spec says 1" silk dome, 95db efficiency. Sound On Sound reviews of the original and newer Egg 150s mention Monacor drivers, and the review of the Egg 100 says the tweeter is the same. Combined with my measurements it looks like the Monacor DT-25N is the one.MONACOR: DT-25N

Last edited:
I've ordered the Monacor tweeters. MSH-115 next I think, should be okay with a bunged up port as part of a 3 way system.

Here's an egg-splanation from Andy Munro:

YouTube

Looks like the original SE version was made in parts rather than one complete moulding. Ribs inside too, none in mine.

66097-Munro-Sonic-Egg-Factory-9.jpg

SEEgg150_03-Y0kf1i9tYaSZ8shBZtzBors9HbVbNJoX.jpg

More on the 150s including amp gut pics

sE Electronics Munro Egg 150 Review : Fresh Eggs for Breakfast - Audiofanzine

Last edited:
Such an eggcelent idea, I remember the focal egg speakers in the eighties, and funny enough I found these eggs at a yard sale and making a speaker for my jeweler friend,the idea being a Faberge egg design,right now I just put dynamat inside,eventually I will whip them up by fall.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 544
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
That's not exactly a russian egg but that's nice : does the exact liter that is not given still important or the size gives you approximatly the volume then you tune with foam to increase virtualy the volume seen by the woof ?

Is that thick enough at this good price not to hear the bird to knock fro the inside (enclosure vibration) ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.