F6 Small(ish) Chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have experience installing the F6 in a smaller or less expensive chassis than the 4U?

I built an Aleph J and F6 at the same time, thinking I'd switch the boards back and forth. Now, I want both amps; but I want to explore lower cost options for the F6.

Thanks in advance.

The 400 mm length is definitely helpful for allowing some separation between power supply components as well as spacing between devices on the heatsinks. My F6 is running with a +/– 26V power rails and 1.85 Amps quiescent current. The heatsinks are 3.5U (140mm) tall and 400mm long, fins are 35mm deep on a 9mm spine. I added aluminum L brackets between the heatsinks and the baseplate to spread more heat into the base. The case heats up pretty evenly, and gets pretty warm, but I can still leave my hands on indefinitely.

If you're building something closer to the standard F6 with 24V rails and 1.5 A Iq, then the 3U, 400mm long chassis is certainly large enough.

A nifty thing about the F6 is that it is a working Class AB amp, so if you want a smaller amp you could say set the bias to half which lets you get away with less heat sinking but you still get the same maximum output. You will leave class A earlier though and probably add some distortion although as long as the Class A window is large enough it's probably not that much of a deal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.