3.5mm mini stereo plug to stereo rca plugs questions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Evening everyone. I hope everyone is doing well? Well I have a few questions? I am looking at getting a pair of cables that can go from my computer to my Nad integrated amp. It is a older one but, is in really good shape and sounds very nice. I am only needed a cable for 6 feet long. So here are a few questions?

1. Does thickness and gauge of the wire play a factor?

2. Does unbalanced and balance matter to the sound of the cable?

3. Does gold plated or brass or all copper matter in sound?

4. Does cost matter in sound?

The reason I ask is I am placing a order with parts express on Tuesday and I can get this cable for very cheap? Audtek 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Audio Cable 6 ft..

I know there are other cables out there for lots of money but, is it worth it? Thanks for your help. Cheers Jeff

Jeffery,
I have used the mini Y cable with computers many times, but what you really want is a mini-DAC and use a USB connection. HUGE improvement with the sound quality!

I see PE has them as low as $33 with 5 star reviews, and it would work well with your integrated amplifier.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it. I know my nad doesn't have a USB hook up. It's older so a rca is all it has? I will see what I can figure out? Then I will post it to see if am correct? Thanks Jeff

The update. I found this unit at parts express. Dayton Audio DAC01 USB Audio DAC 24-bit/96 kHz RCA Output ( I will buy a mini dac to usb cable from p.e.)

I also found this mini amplifier as well with a usb hook up on the back? I have no idea how clean it is in sound?Lepai LP-168HA 2.1 2x40W Mini Amplifier + 1x68W Sub Output

Also can I use the stereo rca hook ups at parts express or mono price? They seem to have a line called Monolith by Monoprice 3ft RCA Cable - Monoprice.com at monoprice? Please let me know? Cheers Jeff

Last edited:
:confused:So I looked and I forgot to say I have a Windows 8 computer? I have a HDMI a 3.5 and 3 USB hook ups but, no mini dac hook up? I am pretty sure I can find a universal adapter from USB to mini dac and then to the parts express item? Sorry I left this out? I am hoping to get a new desk top in the fall of this year? Is model number of my computer: hp 15-f100dx. I have put some money into it to expand the memory from 4 gs to 8 gs. I have also have it wiped and reinstalled all the programs. I only use it for speaker programs and printing. Any who. I hope this helps everyone help me? Thanks Jeff

:confused:So I looked and I forgot to say I have a Windows 8 computer? I have a HDMI a 3.5 and 3 USB hook ups but, no mini dac hook up? I am pretty sure I can find a universal adapter from USB to mini dac and then to the parts express item? Sorry I left this out? I am hoping to get a new desk top in the fall of this year? Is model number of my computer: hp 15-f100dx. I have put some money into it to expand the memory from 4 gs to 8 gs. I have also have it wiped and reinstalled all the programs. I only use it for speaker programs and printing. Any who. I hope this helps everyone help me? Thanks Jeff

Looks like it will work on my computer. I will order it next week and go from there. Thanks guys. My eyes are not what they use to be? Plus am illiterate when it comes to computers. Speakers and HiFi are different. Cheers Jeff

Jeffery,
I have used the mini Y cable with computers many times, but what you really want is a mini-DAC and use a USB connection. HUGE improvement with the sound quality!

I see PE has them as low as $33 with 5 star reviews, and it would work well with your integrated amplifier.

So I was looking around on the internet and I came cross this? Will this work as well? Behringer U-Phoria UM2 | Guitar Center

Just wondering because I am going to be using Rew to measure my speakers when I get the mic..If so then I can have my dac and my microphone phantom power in one? Not to put more on this topic. Jeff

The Mic is also USB, or be sure to order one that is.

I use a Cambridge mini pre-amp/switcher. Really feel like I'm in my wheelhouse switching from computer to CD when testing speakers.

I have just got the Dayton audio dats ( that I waited for 6 months last year) Then I picked up the Omni mic from Dayton audio as well. So just trying to put it all together now. Cheers Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.