New Guy From (Almost) The Middle of Nowhere

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks;

New to audio forums, but not forums as a species. Have finally returned to my (audio) roots. Stuck in the '70's and '80's, so don't beat me up too bad. Seem to have an affinity for JVC and Technics, but am constantly on the lookout for anything kinda cool. Of course, being car-poor, it squeezes the budget. I have waaaay too many cars. But, I digress.

Anyway, happy to be here and will try really hard to not make a fool out of myself. Remember, newby on the premesis...

Thanks to all,

Mike

Thanks to all for the great welcome! Really appreciated!

I see we have people from around the world here. That's so cool. I of course speak only 3 languages - English, Bad English and Swear! But I will try to stick to the first two.

Kevin, I see you're a Bostonian. Back in the early '70's I lived in Salem and took the blue line into Boston. Worked in what was then the financial district. Worked for Cabot Corp. in the Travelers building at 125 High St. Caught a TV show when they imploded it. Made me feel old....

Thanks again!

Mike

There are many bargains from that period. I recently bought a NAD 3020 to use as a work tool. I find it good enough to use every day. Sony is a strange make. Some good, some bad. JVC JAS11 is good. My friend Paul Stewart of JVC UK in the day asked Japan to build it. I mention that as I don't think it was ever published. JVC direct drive turntables can be very good. Not unlike expensive direct drives in sound. TT 71/81 becoming collectable. L3 and 5 are not far behind. They don't have the looks and a bit complex.

Nigel;

Sorry for the delay in responding. Life is a little chaotic right now.

At the risk of getting "beat up", I seem to have developed a thing for the JVC JR-S400 and JR-S600 receivers, as well as the KD-S200 cassette deck. Probably because I'm "stuck in the '70's" and can't seem to get out. Also, because that's what I had "Back Then". My other problem is the BIC Venturi Formula Series from the same era ('77-'79), specifically the 5's. I'm trying to expand my horizons, but the plethora of gear is just overwhelming. I was away from my first love, (music) for far too long and am just now returning.

Thankfully, a buddy of mine is an electronics circuit designer and assists whenever I get something I need to fix that is above my pay grade. Being "car-poor" (way too many), my budget most often goes toward the "sold for parts or repair" portion of audio collecting, so there is a constant flow of "stuff" going through the house.

I also have a JVC JL-A40 turntable, which works and sounds okay, though it's not direct drive.. I'm now on the hunt for one of your recommendations, i.e. the TT71/81.

Thank you for your information.

See ya,

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.