Line Level Low-pass filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know nothing about electronics but I do own a soldering iron. I'm playing with the concept of budget, compact, efficient active subwoofers.

I'm using a ported cabinet with a 6.5" driver. My amp delivers around 20w. I need a low-pass filter but my thinking is this: I don't want to use a post-amplification coil because amplifying a part of the signal only to resist it later seems inefficient. I do not want to to install an active filter as this would complicate power supply requirements.

What can I use the restrict the signal? I'm not too fussed . . . anywhere between 100 and 500Hhz is okay.

Last edited:
You just need to know your amp's input impedance. Here is a circuit: TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover

I don't know how this commercial product gets around not knowing the input impedance, but these Harrison Labs inline RCA filters are $25 a pair, for comparison. FMOD - Parts Express

Search this forum & google for 'PLLXO' for more.

(I've never done one of these but I'd love to find out how to measure an amps input impedance if no specs are available. For all I know, you might be able to read it directly with a multimeter in resistance mode. But if so, should the amp be on or off?)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.