Where is this kind of cap used?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any chance someone can tell me which are these two big input caps and those 2 little between them?

s-l500.jpg

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Any chance someone can tell me which are these two big input caps and those 2 little between them?

s-l500.jpg

You can't tell without a schematic or tracing the board to produce one. Big ones could be coupling. Then again, could be something else.
A cap provides a function that can be used in many places in a circuit.

BTW This type of cap is at least 40 years old. Polyester film caps. Used wherever a, well, cap, is needed ;-)
Someone found a NOS stash.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I see. Hard to say, I mean they look like the stacked film type but they could be anything. If I had to guess based on this appears to be a cheap chinesium thing, they're regular poly caps epoxied into a big can to look expensive.

No, I have a box of those. From Philips in the 1970's. Siemens made them also.
Good caps actually, low inductance because of the end metallisation, all cap elements in parallel.

Jan

You can't tell without a schematic or tracing the board to produce one. Big ones could be coupling. Then again, could be something else.
A cap provides a function that can be used in many places in a circuit.

BTW This type of cap is at least 40 years old. Polyester film caps. Used wherever a, well, cap, is needed ;-)
Someone found a NOS stash.

Jan

Schematic is simple they are input audio capacitors and they are in parallel.

It turns out there are also polyester in this welded stacked package type, but when first introduced this was polycarbonate only. Polycarbonate dielectric film is no longer obtainable I believe. This package is a liability if you forget its got exposed metal and layout a pcb so that neighbouring components can short out. Much lower inductance than many film cap styles though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.