Cable type for signal (preamp->power)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

Which cable type would you prefer using for signal transfer between pre-amp and power-amp (RCA plugs).

One of them is a cobber shield with silver plated cores (i guess).
The other one is cobbershield with a solid cobber core.

Wire.jpg

Regards Christian (new in here).

What is the direction of such a coax cable:rolleyes::confused:
The biggest difference will be how flexible the interconnect will be.
Take a listen with one cable in 'normal' direction and one cable 'reversed' and you will usually find that there is a center imaging issue that the balance control does not cure.
You can also listen to each channel individually and you will form a preference with one channel sounding more 'realistic' in terms of depth information.
According to elementary theory cables should not exhibit directional differences, in practice I find that cables are at least subtly directional.

Dan.

The single core coax is adequately flexible for RCA interconnect application, it's what I use and I find that single core sounds just clearer than stranded. I find that all cables have directional characteristic and custom non-directional cables is necessary for the best sound. Swap direction of one speaker wire and experiment for yourself, while you are at it make two same solid core all copper interconnects and experiment some more.

Dan.

^ Good idea, and swap them over from time to time for never ending improvement

Yeppers! Just keep doin' that and eventually the cables will be so good you won't even need the rest of the stereo...just listen to your properly aligned, and properly oriented cables and all will be right in your world! At some point they will improve so much that you may not even need a music source at all...just listen to the cables!
Yeah, I'm feeling kind of snarky today...I'm so sick of all the BS and non-sense that assaults my senses every day...here and elsewhere.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, we can always count on the same 3 or 4 cablevangelists preaching their religion (because science it ain´t) to the newly arrived.

Sometimes they get a new convert.

To CHBORUP:

* avoid solid core for cable which is meant to be plugged-unplugged such as any with connectors at the ends.
Not for sonic reasons, all sound the same, but for practical ones.

* no such thing as cable directionality, 100% nonsense, contradicted by Science and any experiment.

"But ... but .... some people swear by it"
Well, some people also swear by the Flat Earth theory .... reptilians ... hollow Earth ... about same amount of "proof" backing each (try 0% for a realistic number).

Yeah, of course :rolleyes:. Now, what's the reason for this claimed directivity? Best regards!
I don't know the reasons but I have read ideas that mechanical deformation of the wire during drawing operations causes a directional characteristic. Resistance is due to scattering which can be caused by deformations, lattice dislocations etc and this could be directional.

Cable dielectric materials are applied continuously and this could cause a tension gradient that could cause directional bias perhaps ?. I don't know the reasons for sure but I have found plenty of examples of audible directional effects in many types of wires and cables. Like I say try to experiment for yourself and report back.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.