1" CD w/SEOS & Supravox for small room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am starting a new project for my small'ish room (~3m x 5.5m) with inspiration from my previous build(s) a few years ago:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/243135-bass-driver-options-6.html
And a more recent one:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/326720-supravox-165-2000-a-4.html

Plan A: Open Baffle - I already have the 165-2000s and the 285GMFs are on their way to me at the moment so this is the first design as I already have all the bits.

Supravox 165-2000 >300Hz in OB
Supravox 285GMF <300Hz in OB 'H' Baffle
MiniDSP 2x4HD crossover

Plan B: I have been wanting to try another compact horn based speaker again since the Radian/Stereolab project a few years back. I decided on the Supravox 285GMF as it should be good as a bass driver for Plan-A as well as being flexible to be used in a 2-way design.

I already have some ~100 Litre test cabs from the 165-2000s which I can use for the 285GMFs, the problem is for the compression driver.

I've read a lot about the SEOS waveguides, and like the look of the SEOS-12 and the BMS 4550 but the SEOS waveguides do not seem to be available anymore?

As this is strictly hifi, and in a smallish room, are there any other recomendations for a 1" CD and Waveguide/Horn that would be a good match for the Supravox 285?

An update, the 285GMF drivers arrived:

Supravox 285GMF by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Quite good matching out the box, the supplied print outs are even closer.

Supravox 285GMF by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And in the baffles

Supravox OB by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

The 285GMF full-range and with a 120Hz LR24 crossover (nearfield)

Supravox 285GMF Full-Range & LR24@120Hz by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And the latest plot of the system at the listening seat with the PEQ, although since this the bass level has been trimmed down a few dB.

V1 PEQ by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

OB1 V1 @ Seat (Left) Smooth by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Good start. Any particular reason the LF driver is 6-10dB above the full-range unit?

Looks like a tweeter coming in at around 10kHz would be beneficial.

Chris

Hi, as mentioned, the bass level has been reduced a few dB since that plot, I've not had a chance to re-measure.

I've not tried a 'supertweeter' yet, not sure I am missing much. I might see if I can pick up a Fostex FT96H cheap at some point to try, and continue the AlNiCo theme on the Mid-treble.

Hi Robert,

although my OB fullrange driver works pretty well up to 16 kHz, I´ve recently tried a supertweeter firing backwards and up. I like it better, it´s a cheap experiment, I tried this tweeter: Tweeter a dome Peerless OT19NC00-04, 4 ohm, bobine 19 mm
with a simple 2nd order crossover (4,7 uF and 0,12 mH), as first order didn´t work well due to impedance spike at resonance. The mini waveguide is mostly for cosmetics...

All the best

Mattes

Attachments

• DSC04301 1.jpg
    DSC04301 1.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 113
I have been starting the 2-way with the 285GMF, and seeing what I can achieve in my room.

I have measured the 285GMF in my ~100 Litre test cabinet, with a lot of stuffing.

RED - Mic @ 500mm from driver, on axis and speaker in the middle of the room
BLUE - Mic @ 500mm from driver, on axis and speaker in corner of room
GREEN - Mic at Listening position, on axis and speaker in corner of room

285GMF in ~100Litre Closed Box by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

The suck out at ~350Hz is possibly related to the phase blip as shows up on the impedance trace, previously posted. Other than that, I don't think it looks to bad for an 11" driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.