Liquid magnet (a new technology)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems there is now a way to make liquid magnets.

This New Liquid is Magnetic, and Mesmerizing - The New York Times

With ferrofluids - used in the magnet gap for cooling and damping voice coils - the fluid conducts magnetism but only as long as it is inside the magnetic gap. But this fluid becomes magnetized and retains its magnetism.

Just wild speculation, but I guess you could make a tweeter with no gap, just immersed in the fluid. Sounds interesting, eh.

B.

I see a small problem with a liquid magnet that is not fixed. If you have an alternating magnet field from the coil I guess that the liquid magnet field will turn back and fourth, and not creating a fixed magnetic force.
Adding a fixed magnet to a liquid magnet would turn the liquid magnet to a short cut...
With a net magnetic field of zero as a result.
However if you could mix those magnet particles in a curable glue then you could create an external magnet field by your desire and wait for the particles to cure... maybe... But thats what you are doing today when you make magnets:
YouTube

Haha... i really tried hard to find a good use for the magnetic liquid.. I´ll guess you can make a nice compass with it!
Or you can have a fixed coil with an AC current trough it and then get get fluid to flow back and forth. Maybe you can make nice patterns with it on a transparent film and a magnetic field?
Maybe you can pour it on a circuit board and create patterns where the current is goin...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.