Greetings from holland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow audio-lovers,

When googling for audio information, i most often came on the DiyAudio forums. Lots of good info on here, so i tought lets register.

I'm an mechanical engineer, and love diy stuff. I'm a guitarist for a hobby, so thats where it started. Build myself a fuzzpedal when i was 15, components were on a piece of cardboard. After that i builded several pedal, started etching my own pcb's for it, builded a small 9v solid state portable guitar amp.

Then i got interested in tube amps. Builded a SE 5 watt guitar amp with some second hand transformers, a ultimate marshall (plexi and jcm800 in one box) and an dual EQ SLO clone. Build myself two guitar as well.

Now i wanted to upgrade my hifi gear, and tought, why not build it myself.
First wanted to build an tube hifi amp, but since those transformers are so damn expensive i will start with a solid state upgrade.

Current setup:
Thorens TD165 with Grado red, Onkyo 626 AV receiver and Wharfedale 10.1 bookshelf speakers.

Weakest spot is the onky AV receiver. So i want to start with upgrading the amp. After some search on the internet you seem to find two main diy amps, the pass stuff and the leach poweramp. So one of the two is what i want to build, im considering the leach amp at the moment.

Last edited:
Groetjes!

Sorry, I forgot a word of warning concerning upgrade of an AV-receiver. I am an electrical engineer with decades of experience. I got a Denon AV receiver. When I took it apart, I realized how many components that were inside. Thousands. If I had all the schematics and a couple of months of time, I believe I could have done it. The problem is structure and overview. They are very complex, with loads of very small SMD components and your effort is likely not to be rewarded with a corresponding result if you do not give up half-way.
My advise: Put the Onkyo aside for now. Start with some of the less complex DIY constructions. When you have good experience with DIY electronics, give the Onkyo receiver new consideration.

Last edited:
Groetjes!

Sorry, I forgot a word of warning concerning upgrade of an AV-receiver. I am an electrical engineer with decades of experience. I got a Denon AV receiver. When I took it apart, I realized how many components that were inside. Thousands. If I had all the schematics and a couple of months of time, I believe I could have done it. The problem is structure and overview. They are very complex, with loads of very small SMD components and your effort is likely not to be rewarded with a corresponding result if you do not give up half-way.
My advise: Put the Onkyo aside for now. Start with some of the less complex DIY constructions. When you have good experience with DIY electronics, give the Onkyo receiver new consideration.

Sorry... Didnt mean i want to upgrade the onkyo. But want to upgrade the my amp as first component of my hifi set. So starting with a poweramp build. After that probably a preamp. A phono preamp... speakers... etc haha

Sorry... Didnt mean i want to upgrade the onkyo. But want to upgrade the my amp as first component of my hifi set. So starting with a poweramp build. After that probably a preamp. A phono preamp... speakers... etc haha

Perfect! We are a few who considered modifying or just repairing an AV receiver. It is far more work than you think.
Good luck with the projects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.