Use floor as one side of a port or mouth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Attractive floors could be a reason to do it. I dont have a project where i need it. Was just an idea. Your post made me think that yes it would need some bracing. Ive had an idea about a portable speaker where I could store a toolbag/bucket/toolbox to bring on my job. I guess the tools could use the bracing as part of the mount.

OK, let me clarify... a well-joined edge of a box is going to give you the best rigidity and "bracing" even if there is no actual "brace." It's like an I-beam versus a flat strip of steel, the geometry is what is making it stiff.

If you are pumping intense bass frequencies through a box that has corners without at least two faces meeting, it will "flap" and cause distortion. The larger the box is compared to the thickness of the box material, the worse this will be.

If you are building a portable system with a small subwoofer and are using stiff ply, then maybe an open edge/corner wouldn't be much of a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.