Advice about miniDSP's plate amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just registered, I need help with direction and have limited tech skills.

I have 2-way Swallow Active speakers (from the UK in early 1980s). The built-in electronics have failed and repair is not cost-effective. The cabinet is a 32-inch floor stander with about two cubic feet in volume. The speakers have a sloped baffle. Drivers (all renewed) are Dynaudio D28 tweeter and Dynaudio 21W-54 8 inch woofer.

As a first step, I replaced the active crossover, power supply and amp boards with a passive Dayton 2000hz crossover and am using an old Sony amp. The result is a clear but slightly cool presentation with limited sound stage. I’d like to aim for a bigger sound stage with good imaging and more warmth and emotional grab.

I know I can reach my goal but at a price through home trials of two-channel amps.

But here I’m questioning if I can succeed using miniDSP PWR ICE plate amps. Can I get close to that warmer sound? Will tweaking the xover frequency help? Is the PWR ICE amp competitive with what I can try off the retail shelf? Or at least fit for the purpose I have?

Appreciate opinions and any experience you may have with the plate amps. Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.