Subsonic filter for Dayton ND65 portable system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm new so I'm still figuring this out.

So I'm considering making a portable speaker with a couple of Dayton ND65's but I want to make sure I know exactly how I'm going to do it before I pull the trigger. I have many questions but for now I'll stick to the one relevant to the title.

I've currently modeled two ND65's (4ohm) in a 3L ported enclosure in winisd tuned to 65hz, giving me an F3 around 55hz. My main concern here though is with the lower frequencies, I'd like to setup a subsonic/highpass filter after the amp so that the speakers to blow themselves up. Using an RC calculator website, I found that a 660uF capacitor would give a cutoff around 60hz assuming circuit resistance is 4ohm. Is a capacitor what I need? Am I going in the right direction? In case I have my understanding right, a single cap would give me a first order rolloff, so I added that to winisd. Filtering at 60hz, the new F3 would be 61.5hz; pretty good for such small speakers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It is a 2.5" driver. Where you expecting meaningful bass?

Although on paper it looks like it could, in real life, a small cone like that will not be able to push air so much.

If you put them besides your computer screen and listen at close range not too loud, they will not be bass demons, but should be alright, although the dropping HF response at 6kHz means no highs either.

If you expect them to be mini dubstep party speakers, that's going to be disappointing.

Thanks for replying

I'm not expecting it to be a bass crazy setup, I have a sub for that, really I just want to get the most out of these drivers that I can.
With that said, tuning the box to 75hz and shrinking it to 2.5L might be a bit more realistic. With the same filter they'd play above 70hz. If I wanted more low end I could switch to some larger drivers, but I don't want the project to balloon too much and I want to keep it portable.

Thanks for replying

I'm not expecting it to be a bass crazy setup, I have a sub for that, really I just want to get the most out of these drivers that I can.
With that said, tuning the box to 75hz and shrinking it to 2.5L might be a bit more realistic. With the same filter they'd play above 70hz. If I wanted more low end I could switch to some larger drivers, but I don't want the project to balloon too much and I want to keep it portable.

Hi , I want to use the nd65 as well, do you already build something with it. Greetz

Thanks for replying

With the Lepai LP210PA 2.1 amp you have a 100 hz first order highpass and a sub channel. You can also use it for portable designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.