Fostex FE207E and JBL 2226 - what to do with them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I bought a set of two Fostex FE207E and two JBL 2226 years ago and due to several reasons never found the time to do something with them. Now, having a new flat, I want to give this project another chance.

My original idea was to put the Fostex into Curvy Changs and build a massive TML-Sub for the JBLs (my 18 year old self wanted to use the two TMLs as a bed frame).
After having restarted to read about the Fostex, I'm wondering now whether it makes sense at all to combine them with a sub. Furthermore, I'm getting my doubts that the JBLs would be the right choice for a sub which in combination with the Fostex will probably be confined to rather low frequencies.

So, my question is basically this:
Having these drivers, do any of you see a sound and reasonable way to combine them, or should I just stay with either one of them and look for a better combination?
The purpose would be to use them both for music and movies in the living room.

I am grateful for any comments and inputs!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am not all that familiar with the JBL, but i did have a set of 4 similar ones in the early 80s (in copy martin bass bins). The FE207e i am familiar with.

58.jpg

It looks like you have the bits for a largish WAW that plays really loud with very little power. The current spec is for 2226H/J, what are yours.

i don’t have a predone sealed sim for the FE207 but my approach would be to put the FE207 in a sealed box or aperiodic midTL and the JBL in whatever it is happy with.

Looks like the XO could be anywhere from where the FE207 rolls of in the sealed box (probably lower than we’d like) up to 300-400 Hz. My initial target would probably be 200-300 Hz depending on how loud you need to go.

If you biamp (way easier at these XO frequencies) you have more latitude as to where, the woofer is sufficiently more efficient than the Fostex to put the XO at such a point that the baffle step is taken into account. Note that the passive could be more expensive than active.

I expect that sticking to rational loudness levels one could get away with a couple or three watts on top and 10-30w on the bottom.

dave

The current spec is for 2226H/J, what are yours.

I have the 16Ohms, so the 2226J.
JBL recommends a vented box tuned to 40Hz. I've read multiple statements warning to use it for much lower frequencies due to its max excursion as it's designed for PA and not very low frequencies.

I still think the Curvy Chang is a beautiful design. However, am I correct in seeing little gain in combining the Curvy Chang with a sub that is tuned at 40Hz?

Yeah, the 2226 is best suited for mid bass compression horns or at least a scoop bin, so its factory 40 Hz BR is about the best one can do otherwise.
GM

Thanks for the confirmation.
So, the plans of the Chang show a roll-off at 40Hz:
ResponseChang.PNG

If this is to be true, I wouldn't gain a lot by combining the Chang with the JBL in its recommended design, right?

Any other popular designs for the Fostex, that would be better suited for a FAST system with the JBL? Or would you just stick with the Chang and forget about the JBLs?

You're welcome!

Well, depends on what your performance goals are.

I thought the Chang series were BVR type BLHs/scoop bins, but the sims don't show the big LF boost to offset baffle step loss normally required when the speakers are out in the room somewhat; so in this scenario and assuming ~40 Hz is low enough, then combining the two systems to create an acoustic baffle step compensation [BSC] is worthwhile.

Another option would be tuning the Changs lower and the 2226s in big EBS type alignments to extend the response down to [hopefully] blend into the room's gain to somewhat offset the low power handling of a driver tuned below Fs [~Fs*0.707 max].

That said, if you live in a locale where vintage JBL is revered, then sell them and buy some proper woofers.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If this is to be true, I wouldn't gain a lot by combining the Chang with the JBL in its recommended design, right?

No that is not right. The larger driver will move a lot more air, and the FOstex will better reproduce mids & tops if relieved on the bottom.

Any other popular designs for the Fostex, that would be better suited for a FAST system with the JBL?

With no need to do bass, a sealed (about 9 litre stuffed) or aperiodic midTL (bigger and possibly more elaborate) makes sense for a WAW.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.