Best contact cement available in UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used Evostick myself and it didn't seem as strong as the thixofix stuff. Although the Evo has been through formula changes over the years so who knows if what you buy today is the same as what I used.

Changes were apparently made to reduce emissions and with it bond strength suffered. I'd imagine you can't really go wrong with either.

I would stay away of contact cement (PVA-based). It has a few issues for veneering:

1. It sometimes manages to penetrate the veneer and come up to the surface
2. If you have small gaps or uneven surface the bond will be weak
3. Can react with veneers that contain tannins - like oak veneer for example - creating black/grey spots
4. Is harder to work with (veneering only) compared to polychloroprene glues

I have tried many and hide glue and polychloroprene based ones (Henkel Moment Classic) a.k.a. shoe glue works best for veneering. For joints of the wood panels - PVA all the way unless you have slight gaps, then a polyurethane glue might be better suited as it expands a little.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.