roksan xerxes 20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I normally do not post in this subforum.
I have Thorens 165 which I use occasionally. My question is about a more refined turn table.

Today my neighbour showed up asking me to help him with the adjustment of his Roksan Xerxes 20.

It looks like the platter is not horizontal. Apparently it used to be.

After removing the platter, you see four screws. The outer two control tilting in the south-west to north-east direction (what are the inner two for?). Underneath the inner platter there is another one (I haven't taken a picture of this one). It controls the south-west to north-east tilt.

The problem we had was that if you manage to get the inner platter level (see the picture with the spirit level) everything sinks in the north-west direction when we put the outer platter on. It looks like you have to overdo the adjustment with the T screw (the one under the inner platter) so that it will be all right in the end.
Is this normal? Is the whole adjustment an iterative procedure? Pretty long one too as the inner platter takes time to sink to its position.

Attachments

• IMG_0701a.jpg
    IMG_0701a.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0700a.jpg
    IMG_0700a.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0699a.jpg
    IMG_0699a.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 208
Sagging plinth...

hi. This problem was more prevalent with the original Xerxes. I bought a buggered Xerxes years ago and we came up with a fix that is still working to this day...Mike ended u with it. I think we altered the plinth to allow a squash ball (the audio cure all) to support it.

I'll have to check with Mike though...

Thank you all!

After the adjustment I have done it might be ok.
Before I started the inner platter was clearly not level. After adjusting the T bolt I got the inner platter exactly right, if not a tiny bit too high in the NorthEast. I expect it to sag about 2mm (from what I have seen already). So it might be all right after all. If not we will put the outer platter upside down for the further adjustment.

@Nanook: If you recall what you have done please let me know. I will check with my neighbour tonight or tomorrow how his TT is doing.

possible fix for sagging plinth..

Hi all.

As I posted previously, me and my audio partner Mike worked on an original Xerxes with a sagging plinth. If you take the outer plinth off (box and wooden top plate) the sub-chassis is obviously visible. Based on memory, we used a T nut or "nut-sert" and a corresponding machine screw to lift the plinth, when not it use. Over a period of time, the sagging portion of the plinth straightened. Not very scientific, but it worked.

If I can get a few photos I will and post them.

Hi,

I have been reading about xerxes on the net. I understand that The dreaded plinth sag exhibits itself in the previous version of the player, where the plinth has a C shaped cut in the mdf plinth to decouple the motor from the rest of the plinth. I think my neighbour's player (having an inner metal plinth) should be immune.

Anyway the neighbour came 2 day ago. The platter is level now, but the belt runs too high. Meanwhile I studied the manual so we should be able to correct this.

Ps I can't see how the protip works. The T bolt is under the inner platter. You have to remove the inner platter to access it. After readjustment you need to put the inner platter back. It takes a looong time to sink to its normal position (the manual says 10-20min).
Once you've waited so long, you do not save much time putting the outr platter up or down.
Ok maybe putting it up is easier as you do not care about the alignment with the motor shaft.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.