Lx mini Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I'm building an LxMini clone with :
Dayton Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone
WooferAudio RS150-4 6" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm
Looking for amp to power two speakers to get the best out of them.
Vintage, new or diy. I looked at amps suggested by the designer (upa500) but they are not available any more.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lxc

Last edited:
You need 4 channels of amplification. So you can buy a home theater multichannel amp from Emotiva, Outlaw Audio, or monoprice any of their 100 watt/channel amps will work. You can also reuse an old AV receiver with multichannel inputs (5.1 or 7.1). You could DIY some multichannel amp with Class-D modules like the TPA5255 or the Hypex UCD modules or build chip amps with the LM3886 modules like the ones sold by Neurochrome and others.

I listened to the LX mini and spoke with the late SL about his design over several years at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. He would run his set up with Emotiva amplifiers. Yes, for the basic LXMini set up without subs you need 4 channels of amplification. Be aware that SL's design is quite thorough and complex, so building a clone, particularly with crossover and EQ and getting it right is no easy task. In addition to the Emotiva amps, SL used a MiniDSP processor and a Bel Canto CD transport. Certainly nothing exotic. And the sound was spectacular and sound to price ratio astoundingly good. If you do not want to go Emotiva, you could get two of the Parts Express stereo power amps for around $150 each and they aren't bad. Or DIY two stereo chip amps, or 4 channels of class d amps. Check out Class D Audio

What about sone good receivers for less than the price of outlaw or emotive but still capable of delivering adequate power ? Outlaw Im looking at 650 , emotiva is 100 less , diy would probably run around 150 altogether . If there was a used receiver for more than this it would still probably sound much better and would give me more inputs ?

I can confidently recommend Tom Christiansen's Modulus series DIY chipamps...I run two Modulus 86 and two Parallel 86 (now obsoleted when LM4780 was discontinued) on my LXminis with great results. Not sure that pursuing a clone makes sense here as the LXmini components are very reasonably priced. You'll be very lucky to come close on sound quality and I doubt you'll spend much less money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.