Metcal MX500 Tip failure mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a couple of MX500s which see constant use. Something I have noticed is that the elements of the tips (STTC) wear out long before the plating had eaten through. These things cost a bomb. I've pulled the deceased tips apart trying to figure out what's dying but can see nothing obvious. Typically failure is foreshadowed by a need to tap the tip sharply a couple of times when I pick up the iron and find it is cold. The fault doesn't trigger the yellow "no tip" LED. Anyone know what is going on here?.
M

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have never seen that. I have a lot of different tips and several supplies. Most of my tips were bought second hand. None have failed even when really worn that I noticed. Your symptoms suggest bad connections preventing the RF from getting to the tip. Which supply do you have? Does it have the two LEDs? Maybe its the handpiece? or internal damage at the tip try measuring the DCR between the shell and the center pin. There is a coil in the tip to drive the mag field and the heating. A great but expensive troubleshooting tool is the inline power meter. You can see immediately what is happening or not. . .

According to Metcal the tips are warrantied for the lifetime of the plating, contact Metcal.
Warranty
When I used to work at RockwellCollins this happened a lot, they would collect them, and send them back every
6 months. (over 1500 Metcal soldering stations at Collins Melbourne, Fl,USA.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.