• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Considering Tubelab SSE build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering the Tubelab SSE for use with KT88 output tubes, I currently have a pair of Majestic Transformers OPT's with a a 3.5K primary and 4&8 Ohm secondaries rated for 30W and a Power transformer with 320-0-320 and 390-0-390 secondaries.

Would these be suitable for the SSE? I know i will have to adjust the cathode resistor accordingly but that will not be difficult.

Thanks

You can get an estimate of your rectified DC B+ voltage by multiplying your power transformer AC secondaries by the square root of two.....or 1.41.

So 320VAC X 1.41= 450VDC

and 390 X 1.41=550VDC

In reality the final voltage will be less than these numbers based on the CRC/CLC etc power supply resistance but you can see these voltages at startup before the KT88s start to conduct.

Important note.....finding high voltage electrolytic capacitors rated at 550V can be a challenge, and that that's a lot of HV for a first project...assuming that this is your first tube project.

..most 500V rated electrolytic caps have a surge rating of 550V to take care of the overshoot at startup.

KT88 heaters need 1.6A each so you'll have ample heater current for them..and the driver tubes need a little too.

..and 300ma secondaries is plenty of current as well.....likely more than you'll need for typical KT88 operation so your voltages will likely run high. Your B+ voltage can be tuned a bit by changing the value of the first cap in the power supply.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.