Best multipurpose PA Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a amateur musician and I am looking forward to buy a small-ish powered speaker for the first time. I sing and play guitar. I don't have much experience on PA speakers.
I am looking for mostly singing with guitar at home and sometimes in front of a small gathering. But I also want to use that speaker for listening music and may be partying. For this reason the speaker should produce good bass response also. I am not talking about the earth-shaking bass, but decent.
I researched a bit and found that most of the small-ish speakers don't produce good bass. I was also looking at some brands/models like:

1. Mackie thump 12A (bigger, good bass according to reviews)
2. Yamaha DBR10 (The size I am looking for)
3. JBL EON 610 (Doesn't produce good bass according to reviews)
4. Electro Voice ELX200
5. Turbosound inspire iP300
6. Power Dynamics PD-410A

Please help me out finding the speaker which suits me best. My price range is also not very high. Somewhere between $400 to $500. I know it's a ocean to dive, but I need some head up advice. I live in Oslo where there are very limited amount of models available in physical stores where I can go and check the sound. Otherwise this would have been the best option.

While guitar is not difficult to reproduce, accurate piano sounds are intensely difficult. Especially if the piano is a Sohmer Acrosonic Bosendorfer or Steinway instead of some ****y yamaha console piano with no highs. If your ears don't still go at least to 14000 hz, you'll never hear the difference IMHO.
I bought a pair of used Peavey SP2-XT for about $600, although the SP2 in the store sounded slightly better for $1200. Bass is -3db at 54 hz, lowest note on the piano. I don't feel a need for subwoofers although I do listen to organ material with 32' notes. Specifications on the 2004 model SP2 has 2nd harmonic distortion down 20 db at all frequencies at 1/100 full power. My ears confirm, it really sounds like a piano even when the top octave is played. (try Peter Nero Young & Warm & Wonderful as test track, When I Fall In Love track. )
The SP2 is not powered. This is diyaudio, I built a good sounding amp using a burned hulk of a dynaco ST120. Powered mixers should be the ticket for a performing artist to keep the piece count of setup to five. (2 mikes, mixer, speaker, stand).
Peavey makes powered speakers with a 15" black widow woofer like in mine, but I don't know how they sound. I saw some used Peavey CS800x amps for $100 a piece the other day, great sounding amp with .03% HD discounted because it still has a 30 lb transformer. I got a damaged CS800s amp with the speakers, after repairs it is a great sounding amp. Same circuit as the cs800x but with a switcher power supply.

Last edited:
1. Mackie thump 12A (bigger, good bass according to reviews)
2. Yamaha DBR10 (The size I am looking for)
3. JBL EON 610 (Doesn't produce good bass according to reviews)
4. Electro Voice ELX200
5. Turbosound inspire iP300
6. Power Dynamics PD-410A

Remove #1 and #3 from the list, Mackie doesn't make reliable speakers anymore and the EON could have been a Bose product... no highs and no lows...
The EV ELX200 and Yamaha DBR lines are very good, but go have a listen to figure out what size cab you need to get the bass response you want.
Turbo iP series has potential but I think you will need one of the systems with a separate bass module for music playback.

Never heard of Power Dynamics so can't help you there.

Last edited:
I am looking for mostly singing with guitar at home and sometimes in front of a small gathering. But I also want to use that speaker for listening music and maybe partying.

Annice, I think you're asking too much out of one speaker type. I STRONGLY suggest that you concentrate for now on the "ac gtr and vocal" thing. Then late if you want full fidelity for listening, or lots of bottom for a small party, buy a small powered subwoofer.

For the former, anything with a 10" or 12"+ horn will do. Stay away from 2-way 15" types, as they are very hard to make sound good. Even the very expensive ones ($thousands per box) are compromises.

FWIW you can't beat the QSC powered speakers, for the money, though there are plenty of other good choices. As a "price reality check," This is basically the high-end of "prosumer" gear. The really good stuff s a WHOLE lot more money.

I wouldn't buy anything LESS expensive than a QSC 10". Anything below that is something you will eventually want to sell, and when you finally do upgrade, you'll kick yourself for not listening to me today. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.