Goldring DR100, missing low bass for one driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought the Goldring DR100 some ten years ago and I recall being disappointed with the lacking deep bass. Used it only shortly and it was put away. Found it back recently and decided to try it again.
I noticed that one driver (the left) actually had the low bass while the other driver (the right) did hardly produce anything below some 300Hz. I checked thoroughly that there was actually a huge difference in the low bass reproduction (not my ears and not the source) – there is a huge difference. I took out the right driver but I cannot see much because of the foam in front and the visually closed design behind. I put the driver on a mono-amp and had the same poor low bass reproduction. Could hear some higher frequency distortion with a 50Hz tone and high volume.
Most likely the driver was poorly made from start. Is there anything I can do to improve the situation (like “massaging” the driver with a powerful low-frequency signal) or is the DR100 just a “looser” to be thrown away?

Last edited:
You sure it's the driver itself? Sounds like there's a leak somewhere... usually the first candidates for that would be either the baffle or a driver that was installed incorrectly and is not sealing. Headphone drivers in free air never have much bass. If it does turn out to be the actual driver, I imagine the membrane might not be glued properly, have a tear in it, or the voice coil might be stuck due to e.g. bad centering or a piece of debris having gotten into the gap.

I'd want to rule out a seal issue first and, if that doesn't yield anything, proceed digging into the driver.

The S-class is very nice but too big for the small roads and parkings down here. I once drove a 430 owned by a friend.

Headphones: Many thanks for your suggestions. Am I wrong in assuming that the acoustic chamber is formed at the front between the ear the ear-pad and the driver? At the rear the DR100 is semi-open and a number of vents prevent any sealing at the rear. I have tried to assure that the ear-pad is well pressed against my head and it helps a little, but not much. A last (desperate) attempt is with moderate compressed air directly on the membrane - "quit or double". The driver is enclosed in glued plastic parts and I have no real access to the membrane or magnet so physical repair is hardly possible. Evidently, I should have tested it thoroughly just after purchase. Luckily it was not very expensive.

As I had a basically good headphone cable left over with connectors in each end, I bough another headphone to be used with the cable. Sounds fine and at an attractive price.
The defect driver I took apart to see if I could find the reason for the missing bass. When I got to the diaphragm which is transparent, I could see that the coil was not at all centered but touched the magnet at two places. The contact with the magnet prevents free movement of the diaphragm. So much for Goldring production quality.

Attachments

• GoldringDR100_1.jpg
    GoldringDR100_1.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 52
  • GoldringDR100_2.jpg
    GoldringDR100_2.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 51
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.