Sainsmart transformer dead

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I bought a cheapy chinese valve pre/buffer and it was running fine. I know its everyones favourite, but anyhow, I hadn't used it in a while and I purchased a nice case, amp board and PSU board and decided to install the pre. I did the assembly and fired it up! The valves glowed and audio crept forth and was just audible above the smell of burning varnish. I shut don't and finger tested for heat. Seems like my HT winding was cooking away nicely and I measured about 3 volts on the winding instead of 170 VAC!

My assumption is I shorted the capacitor tops to the lid of the case. I can find no other reason for failure. The board is no longer available, but the transformer is. For the price of the transformer, I could buy a different kit, which the holes cut in my lid may not line up. How can I rustle up 170 volts of ac to test my preamp?
Would I be scorned for using resistors in a potential divider? Just for several seconds to see if this board still works.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2018-10-11 09-24-07.png
    Screenshot at 2018-10-11 09-24-07.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 72
Have a look for an SMPS HV supply. Or build one. Don't try to go for 120 - 240V operation as the transformer maths becomes difficult. It's easy enough to get 170V from 12V.

Even a simple 555 driving a flip-flop will drive two transistors. Use a 15V / 240V transformer in reverse and you should get approximately 170V out. You can safely trim the voltage with CRCRC filtering. A small first cap will considerably drop the output voltage.

A Google search will reveal a whole host of circuit ideas using cheap components.

Attachments

• simple-100W-inverter-circuit.png
    simple-100W-inverter-circuit.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I'm a single dad and my daughter is called Katy :)

By time a circuits parts could be purchased and assembled, I could have a new transformer :) But could be a learning curve! I'll give it a go, thank you KatieandDad

Can I use dc 6.3 volts to run the heaters instead of ac? Eliminal the transformer altogether. Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.