Full range speaker as headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a pair with 3" FR's and housed them in a corrugated cardboard 'headset'. Worked Jim Dandy.

Do you remember the days of capsule chairs with the built-in speakers? Mini version of a man cave.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2018-07-06 at 2.22.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2018-07-06 at 2.22.38 PM.png
    627.2 KB · Views: 333
Haha, that kind of char was my first thought when figuring out how to fit them on my head.
The HD800 headphone drivers are about 3'' and they are the best dynamic headphones I ever heard and I've heard all of the high end options. They also are known for having the biggest soundstage of all the headphones.

I don't think your 3'' cardboard set-up would be able to beat the engineering of the HD800.

Which is why I want to try to go for something much much bigger.
There is a massive difference between 3'' an 15''driver. 15'' is just about the size of my entire head, I'm thinking it will either have an amazingly huge soundstage or it won't work well at all. I don't know if there is something I'm missing.

I also am not sure integration into a char is the wisest plan due to potential echoing and interference. I was thinking of actually clamping the speakers against my head.

Last edited:
EDIT: Darn, no speakers in that one.

But that's what they made the FC152 / 15-300TC for, no?
This is a DIY forum after all :)

If anyone needs it in plain text:
Eggchair + DIYAudio fanatic + 2 x Fane 15-300TC = Grin inducing micro man-cave/sit-inside headphones.

Edit:
Maybe one would be anough, just have it on top and do a mono setup.

Last edited:
But that's what they made the FC152 / 15-300TC for, no?
This is a DIY forum after all :)

If anyone needs it in plain text:
Eggchair + DIYAudio fanatic + 2 x Fane 15-300TC = Grin inducing micro man-cave/sit-inside headphones.

Edit:
Maybe one would be anough, just have it on top and do a mono setup.

Yeah the fane 15-300TC is what I was thinking too.
Although I am thinking using ear pads to create a seal around your head will give superior sound than just placing them in the chair no?

HK:
I think it'll be harder to build an exoskeleton with sensors to support the weight of the headphone structure, than just cutting some holes in a chair.

That said, I'd rather go for a couple 4"-6" FR's and a "bass shaker". It is really close range after all. What happens if some kid plays with the volume knob while you're listening to something like Grieg - Morgenstemning at 06:47 in the morning, enjoying a good cup of coffee?

Last edited:
I am always chasing after the ideal, I'm okay with more difficulty.
Each Fane 15-300TC driver weighs 11 LBs.
I placed a 20lb weight on my head to get an idea of what this would feel like, I barely noticed it.
The headband would need to be made out of aluminum and be deeply V shaped in order to get a sufficient clamp on your head. The ear pads would need to be reasonably fluffy in order to prevent it from being uncomfortable.

The problem is I don't trust my skills @ CADing a prototype headband considering the cost of failure. Metal isn't cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.