Member's lack of etiquette in PM's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(RANT)
I have been selling some stuff on the swap meet and am starting to get really mad at members not following the simplest rules of communication!!!

Is it really that hard to write Hello, or Hey there?!? and signing a message with the name or at least the forum handle would also be nice.

But the thing that is making me really angry is people not answering their messages. I have had at least 3 members simply stopping all communication.
I would expect a simple: "Thank you, but I'm not interested anymore" (which takes anyone 10 seconds to write and press send).
Especially after having spent time figuring shipping prices and going back and forth with these members regarding a possible sale.

I've been a member for a long time and have had my share of PM'ing and never saw such behaviour here. (RANT OFF)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As you can imagine I get a certain number of PMs that lack civility.. :D

It's a lousy feeling when you put a lot of effort into answering a question and you don't get any acknowledgment. Courtesy does go a long way.

It seems to be a trend in the English speaking world and is probably the consequence of the prevalence of "text" speak, twitter, etc., and possibly the result of small hard to use devices. I know I am terse when responding on my phone because it is hard to type on that touch screen keyboard.

I hardly ever get nibbles on swap meet and hate selling on eBay. I wish you luck.

It’s a me me me, narcissism thing, is why I just throw stuff away or donate to a thrift shop instead of trying to sell on the local online classifieds.
The best is when people ask if you’ll sell for less than half of you asking price in a one liner...

I haven’t tried selling here on the forum, sorry to hear it isn’t a great place to sell either.

People, at least in most Western countries, are now brought up to believe that the world revolves around them. They think narcissism is a virtue. As they rarely hold conversations face-to-face even with their friends (but use technology instead) they have no idea about the little courtesies which smooth the path of human interactions between strangers.

Having said that, my wife tells me I am too terse in emails because after saying "Hi" I then launch into the substance of the email instead of asking how someone is etc. Of course, when I send her an email I already know how she is because she is probably sitting in the same room as me and waiting for the document or picture attached to the email so she can do something useful with it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
On the flip side, I get about 500 PMs a year here and almost all have been courteous two way conversations. There is the odd dropped conversation, but those often pick up again months later (much to my surprise). I've bought and sold on the swap meet a dozen times or more with no problems. Those exchanges were polite and to the point. Never a problem.

Perhaps my standards are low, but I'm not expecting flowers either. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.