Good 2-Channel Chip?

There are many possibilities. LM3886 is one attractive possibility though it is actually a single channel chip.

It depends a lot on your level of ambition. Without power supply and pre-amplifier, a well sounding stereo amplifier can be made from 5 EUR (6$) and upwards. Is it only for testing of these speakers? Have you any idea about how much you like to spend? How much output power would you like?
You like a ready-made board, a kit or you are going to design it yourself?

Last edited:
the tpa 3116/3118 is very popular and can be powered from a laptop brick. There are several hundred posts concerning those chips here. I put one together for my daughter for $10 and what I had in the junk box. 20 watts per channel is more than plenty for her apartment.

Attachments

• DSC_0312.jpg
    DSC_0312.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 565
2-Channel Chip Amp

Like Anti said, either the LM4766T / LM4780T, or a lower-power version: The LM4765T. This chip is 30W/ch. I've built several 2-Channel chip-amp boards around the '4765T and they sound great.

My desktop system is an FX Audio DAC-X6 feeding the LM4765T thru a 100KΩ ALPS RK16 stereo pot. Speakers are modified Minimus-7s (extra insulation to tighten up the bass, and revised crossover networks for a 12dB/Octave roll-off).

The LM4765T is configured for 15W/ch into 8Ω. Power is supplied by a 12VDC to +/-20VDC PWM Switcher. Controller IC is an SG3525 clocked at 66kHz (33kHz switching frequency). Transformer are two FT-114-77 toroids stacked. Primary is 4T+4T, and secondary is 11T+11T.

The Amp picks up no detectable noise from the switcher, which is less than five inches.

LM4766 sound quality compared to Class-D boards?

Hi. (I realize it's an old thread, but the only one I found for this).

Trying my hand at actively crossing over a speaker with a cone midbass and a planar tweeter (which is very revealing of detail).

I have my (analog) crossovers already, and a stereo 100W Class-D for the midbass. I'm looking at a variety of lower-powered Class-D amps and also the popular LM4766 Class-AB "chip amp" for driving these sensitive tweeters.

Anyone here ever compared the LM4766 stereo amp against such class-D boards, such as the TA2024, which I also have (or the TP3110, or TDA 7297) ?

I'd appreciate any comments on sound quality, H.F. performance, noise, etc.

Thanks in advance for your kind opinions.

-Charles