Best way to remove this connector?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone-

I was just trying to figure out the best way to remove these style connections on my old Pioneer reciever. I need to remove a few to get the front panel off to replace the power switch.

Because of space I actually pulled the ribbon cable out of one of them, assuming I could re-assemble it later.

These connections have NEVER been removed so I want to be careful with the plastic as it may be brittle.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 248
  • connector_removed wire.jpg
    connector_removed wire.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 254
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You release the clamping bar at the top (which looks to have been attempted looking at the end slots) by using a small jewellers screwdriver. The wire ribbon should then easily come out. To reassemble just make sure the ribbon is pushed home and then press the clamping bar down until it latches.

Moly,
these connectors are old and brittle as said. I just have partly destroyed one because the upper part doesn't want to go up. Could you be so kind and describe more detailed ?
Where the screwdriver should go in ? As the red arrow or as the green one ?

Attachments

• connector.PNG
    connector.PNG
    410.6 KB · Views: 112
Well, if You damaged the connectors, it's time to replace them with new molex ones.
You can use the ribbon exposed wires and solder them directly to the pins instead of crimping. (Hope You have a helping hand or a vise...)
Squeeze the pin lugs a bit before soldering or they won't insert in the connectors.
You can also leave one of the connectors on one board and solder the wires to the other board. Put a bit of melt glue on the wires afterwards so they don't break.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.