Any experiences with Faital 12PR320 : 12" driver for 40-500 Hz

Hello,

For my two (or three) way speaker, I have search for a 12" driver with a sensibility of 95 dB / W / M for a boxe around 100L.

Actually my design is :
- Faital Pro 12PR320, 12" drivers : 0 to 500 Hz inside 110L
- Fostex FE208EZ : 500 Hz to 20 kHz with corrective RLC inside ~8L

I have "found" the Faital Pro 12PR320 drivers, release in 2017, so relatively new. Is there any one tried it ? did you know any review or test ?

Importants datas was for me :
- sensitivity
- Fs : 42 Hz
- Mmms (low mobile stuff) : 51.4 g
- Xmax : 7.37 mm
- Vas : 98.4 L

The link : FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 12PR320

And the response from the manufacturer :

Attachments

• Faital Pro PR320 Freq.png
    Faital Pro PR320 Freq.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,574
I have no experience with this driver.

But it simulates really well. I get -3db at 43hz and -5db at 29hz in 108 liters, 8 msec group delay at 40hz, should sound really nice and "tight".
110 liters you say? Did you try crunching the numbers?
What measurements/outer dimensions are you going for?

I would probably settle for somewhere around 200hz xo.

Hello,

@Mctavish : Thank you, great news :)

@KaffiMann : I'm in the process to learn thing. I have done some simulation, with the help on a local forum here. 94 or 108 L seems good. I have the event and the box sizing.

But .... I can have .... a pair of good old bass drivers WS 33 NG with the boxes for the price of one 12PR320 .... I think to start with thoses WS33NG and in a future build a boxes with 12PR320.

Regards,

the 2 drivers you picked are very different in character.
i love faital drivers, but in your case the 12" faital will not add much to the picture.
i would pick a 12" subwoofer driver under the fostex and cross much lower (~100hz).

if you insist on using a 12" proaudio driver, the only design that makes sense is this:
DTQWT-mkII

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nothing wrong with combining the Fostex FE208EZ in a small sealed chamber with the Faital Pro 12PR320 in a larger TL/BR/TQWT solution. The Faital's higher sensitivity can provide some baffle step compensation if crossed higher, or just playing with different order xo slopes can get you there if going for 200hz xo. Combined with a smooth low end roll off it can make for a really nice sounding system.

You just keep on your track gug42, it is a very promising combination of drivers.

your choice of mid and bass drivers both have the same Fs of 42hz
i'll say that and leave it there

in troels' dtqwt, 8" and 12" fire into the same horn; the benefit is that there is no high pass filter on the 8" (saves a lot of $$$ by avoiding the large expensive capacitor). you are not getting any bass from that 12" unless you build a tapped horn or tqwt.

Ref: my first post, it looks really good in 108 liters, but here's a slightly smaller box at 101 liters in 2,83v/2pi:

I do not mind sharing the numbers, but thought you might like to fool around with simulations yourself first.
Note the slow roll off, I have found that I personally prefer this type of frequency response to completely flat to some point, it gives very good group delay and very smooth phase. Sounds like a closed box, but goes deeper.

Attachments

• Faital Pro 12PR320.jpg
    Faital Pro 12PR320.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user