diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Source (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   Philips CD100 won't play disc (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/323580-philips-cd100-wont-play-disc.html)

partsman 6th June 2018 07:10 PM

Philips CD100 won't play disc

Hi everyone,
New to these sorts of thing but I need help with my Philips cd100 player.Bought in 1984 been my pride and joy. Not had heavy use and worked before putting in storage. however it now will not play cd's. Powers up arm centres in arc and track lights all come on , goes to track 1 then nothing.Found small clear plastic piece which looks to have dropped off R.H side under lid where switch contact is. Looks to have been stuck on with 2 plastic spot welds?Does this switch control play mode and is opened and closed by this plastic piece?
will it damage anything if I test by taping switch together under lid?
any picture from that area would help as i don't know which way it should be re-glued back on.Is the switch to tell the player the lid is down? as a safety feature?
Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.
It is great player with all original box, manuals and original Philips C.D.
and hopefully nothing too serious is wrong with it>

Tromperie 6th June 2018 11:11 PM

Might be time to switch to something like Daphile, which is what i have used for around five years. Use an old computer, set it up, rip all of the CDs, and control everything with your phone.

Galu 7th June 2018 12:19 AM

Yes, play probably won't commence until that switch is depressed. This would be to ensure the lid is closed so there is no danger from the laser. You will have to figure out some way to make the lid operate the switch, but you should be able to test that the system is working by taping the switch.
Search this forum for philips cd100. There are other potential faults including dirty brushes in the disc drive spindle motor and intermittent solder connections on the circuit boards.

palucca 9th June 2018 10:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
hello partsman,

fix the plastic part with a 2 components glue. Also change the condensatoren in the power supply. Here a link for the parts:

PHILIPS CD 100+101 Player Netzteil Elkos VISHAY power supply recap recapping kit | eBay

Thena resolder the pins of the power IC in power supply and the transistor point in the focus amp and the radialamp

kind regards

Rüdiger

partsman 10th June 2018 09:26 AM

BIG THANK-YOU.

Thank's for the tips everyone, Galu you've confirmed my thoughts on the switch and palucca you pic with the position of the plastic part is really great.
I will let you all know how I get on repairing it.

partsman 25th June 2018 09:05 PM

Hi guys, quick update to everyone, reglued plastic piece in position on to lid mechanism.
Would not read disc spun very slow then stopped, kept trying and it spun a bit longer each try. Left on for about 1 hour and tried again. WOW it’s reading disc, tracks, search etc just like new. Sounds great not bad for 34 year old . All tips on forums much appreciated Thanks.

palucca 26th June 2018 07:27 PM

hello partsman,
you wrote: Left on for about 1 hour and tried again. WOW it’s reading disc. This is typical for old caps in the power supply. Yesterday I repaired a CD 100 and the same phenomenon. I recaped the power supply and the problem are solve. The servicemanuel do you find on hifiengine.com. But you can also order the caps on ebay. So you have all together.

kind regards

Rüdiger

partsman 26th June 2018 07:44 PM

Thanks again for your comments. Been using it now for last 3 days and it is working without any issues.
I have no in-depth knowledge to do anymore so will hope it stays as it is.
Thanks again

wyan 11th July 2019 06:16 AM

Hi, I am trying to re-cap CD100 but not sure what to use as a replacement for non-polar cap C2214 (15uf, 16V). Any suggestions? Thanks.

palucca 11th July 2019 03:06 PM

dear wyan, its not necessary, do change this condersator. But when you want, then take a normal condensator or a film capacitors. I make a measurement this condensator last week, and he has the full capacity.
kind regards

Rüdiger